Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to use my extractor and the gear is broken. I cannot find a nylon straight bevel gear with a 0.625” bore and 23 teeth. It is about 3.5” od. I retrofitted the extractor with a hand drill and it worked great. I leant it out to a friend and my gut instinct tells me he did not set the clutch on the drill (or used a cord model). It is only a small 2/4 frame I got in trade for a hive some years back so I do not want to sink a bunch of money into it (so do not send me links to $150 stainless gears).
I am not finding anything. Made the mistake of picking up a couple on Amazon without dimensions and will not even comment on how stupid that was. Desperation does bad things.

·
Registered
691 Posts
We have a place called Bearings and Drives Unlimited. I don't know if that's a national chain or not. They can get anything if they don't have it in stock.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,887 Posts
Do you know the brand of the extractor? May end up being a lot less hassle to just order one from them. I took the liberty of searching McMaster and did not find anything that matches your description even remotely.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Even if you could find an original replacement you would still have another plastic gear. A pair of commercial angle drive gears would be a big upgrade.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Post a pic or two. Maybe someone here will recognize the brand and get you headed in the right direction.

Does the gear look like this one?

http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.co...t-parts/gear-for-honey-extractor-pm9302b.html
yes it does look like that. Even the correct ratios. The problem is after getting them in the gears are almost exactly 1/2 the size that works.
I sent in a picture to the plastic shop on the other side of town. If it goes for a 'no dice' I plan on clamping it together and welding it with a soldering iron. all I can do is break it.
picture of gear:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I sent in a picture to the plastic shop on the other side of town. If it goes for a 'no dice' I plan on clamping it together and welding it with a soldering iron. all I can do is break it.
picture of gear:
Minz - If you do go the "weld" route, you might try reinforcing the "weld" with some metal. I have melted staples and heavier wire into the plastic and across the crack (picture Frankenstein stitches).
Good luck.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,379 Posts
Are both gears 23 teeth or is there a reduction in the gear box? Are both gears 5/8 shafts? What is the retaining method for the gear (press fit, set screw, d shaft, something else?)

Is there enough extra space on the shafts that you could go to 2 smaller gears and replace them both? Without knowing the pitch and other factors of the gear it is going to be harder to find one that mates correctly, so replacing both may be easier.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Both shafts are 5/8”, the gear to the basket is 10 teeth. They are held to the shaft with a single roll pin each side. I would actually like to change up the ratio to more reasonable ratio for turning with a drill (higher input RPM per basket RPM) but trying not to get into a total redesign unless I can get the entire assembly and at that point the cost I could get a new one.
Here is what I did. Welded it using a 1200 W iron. I should have cleaned the tip better and maybe gone down to hobo freight and got some of their plastic welding rods rather than experimenting. I used short sections of #8 hardware cloth as reinforcement. It seemed to work real well so I took some larger cloth, cut to the full dimension of the flat back of the assembly, Heated the hardware cloth with a propane torch, gear with a heat gun. Put the two together and worked it in using the propane torch. Burnt it a little when I was ‘directing’ my helper and lost concentration. That is the photo you see here. I then read that hot glue makes a better bond that epoxy so took the heat gun and ‘floated’ the entire surface with a glue stick I had laying around.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,379 Posts
looks good. Let us know how it holds up

hot glue makes a better bond that epoxy
FYI, there are different types of hot glue and different types of epoxy. Your standard hot glue probably is not going to have better adhesion to the plastic than a good plastic epoxy and the hot glue may pop off if you stress it when it is cold. Since most people dont extract honey when it is cold you will probably be ok. I think 10 to 23 is a non standard (for off the shelf bevel gears) ratio so finding a matching replacement gear would be difficult if my memory of gear math from collage is still correct.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would not need the exact ratio. A higher gear ratio would actually be nice if I am turning it with a drill motor. I would need the 0.625 inch shaft and the same offset distance (height off of the carriage and distance from the other shaft). I do not even have a clue how to figure that out.
It looks like I may have got the gear a little off center with all of the screwing around. I also cracked the plastic where I drove the roll pin back in. I put on a stainless pipe clamp (1.25”) around the shaft. Starting to look pretty Mickey mouse.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts