Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hived two packages last night without trouble, but I'm now thinking I may have made a mistake.

I took out half of the frames and attached the queen cage to the 5th frame with a rubberband. I faced the candy end up and placed the back of the cage against the undrawm foundation(screen facing out).

BUT then I placed the other frames back in and snugged everything up. Will the workers be able to get inbetween the 6th frame's foundation and the screen to feed the queen?

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
Drawn frames or not? If they are undrawn this should be no problem. If they are drawn you'll need to get in there and remove a frame to make a little room. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are undrawn. In my minds eye it seems that there will be a little space but I was too excited to verify this and now I am out of town for several days. My Lady is a trooper and says that she will go back in and turn the cages if needed but I don't want her to have to. I also don't want to disturb them any more than necessary.

·
Registered
583 Posts
hi as far as disturbing them they wont mind especially if the can not feed or get to the queen.....better to have a live queen than a dead one it wont hurt to check.i would check

·
Premium Member
3,097 Posts
No need to move the cage... if you think there's a chance they can't feed/reach her, just skootch the neighboring frame over enough for beespace (3/8") to reach the cage screen.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I staple a piece of string to the back of queen cages long enough to droop over the back of the hive. I know which hives still have a cage in them and removal is spread the frames a bit and pull it up out. Of course I came to this practice after having dropped numerous empty cages to the bottom of the hive. Thought I'd share and save someone else the experience

1 - 7 of 7 Posts