Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read a post about Locust trees and wondered how significant the Catalpa trees are. Also, there are TONS of crown vetch in our area. Are these a good source of nectar? Which Locusts are the ones with the thorns? Is it the Honey locust? We have lots of those too. My bees didn't make it through the winter last year, so missed the flow. Have 4 hives this year and am hoping they make it!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on crown vetch. What a shame they aren't good for the honey bee. I hate that stuff and thought it might be good for something.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>Catalpa trees . . .
See ABJ 1/06 p53.

>Locusts are the ones with the thorns . . .
Both Honey and Black Locust have thorns.
Honey Locust has stout brown spines on bark; usually branched, sometimes 8” long, w/ 3 or more points.

Black Locust has 1/2" long spines found at the nodes of young branches, but are rare on mature wood.

>Have 4 hives this year and am hoping they make it!
Are you monitoring mites?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave -

Yep. Have SBB and monitor mites. Planning on doing the sugar dusting of frames (Dowda Method) when the count goes up some.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave,

Right now, very low. 8-12 mites in 24 hours. I can't remember the level at which I should treat. Would have to look it up. What do you suggest?

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>8-12 mites in 24 hours . . .

That IS low! Is your count rising? What do you think is "causing" your low count?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These bees were just started this spring from a nuc. Last year it was very low at this time too and in the late summer/early fall it skyrocketed.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
>These bees were just started this spring from a nuc . . .
>Last year it was very low at this time too and in the late summer/early fall it skyrocketed . . .

Are we talking about different hives?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dave -

All four of my hives were started this spring from nucs. The counts on all of them were between 8 and 12.

My hive from last year didn't make it through the winter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts