Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice please -
For what ever reason, I seemed to have a lot more frames with open nectar this year. Girls seem to be slow capping it. Talk with some other beeks at our club meeting and they are seeing the same pattern.

Anyway, starting my last Starter colony for some grafts for queens for re-queening before the end of the season. Anyone, have any experience or suggestion as to using frames of nectar versus frames of honey in a starter colony?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
If it doesn't shake out, it is no longer nectar.

No experience doing what you asked about, but can't c why it would make a difference.

Starter Colony? As in cell starter? The Thread Title thru me off for a while.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark,

Sorry, meant a cell starter....have the same problem with my wife - sometimes just don't say the right word!

Steve

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
No problem, just wanted to be sure I understood. You should hear some of the paranoia that happens when I don't say enuf.

What club do you belong to? Must be Mid-York? Are you getting any g-rod or knapweed yet? Goldenrod. ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL

Yes, Mid-York. Tons of Golden rod just coming in, hoping for a good flow! Very little knapweed so far. Getting a lot of girls coming is with "snowballs" of whitish pollen. Seeing a fair amount of chickory. Could that be that source?

Steve

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Not sure. I saw some Purple Asters in bloom yesterday. The beginning of the end? I would love to see some activity on the g-rod before it all gets burnt off. Or, shoot, purple loostrife even.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
In answer to the original post; yes, open nectar works well in the cell builder. We put a frame of pollen on one side of the cell bar frame and a frame of nectar/honey on the other side. ;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Fish Stix and Mark,

We gave it a try today. We'll see how it goes.

I thought I read somewhere that nectar was a little easier for the bees to use to make royal jelly, but I could be confused, too! Anyway, we'll try something a little different and learn some more.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts