Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my question: Will trap-out bees go back to their home location if I don't move them away (more than 2 miles or so)?
I'm using a trap on a locust-tree colony, made out of old 10-frame hive body (basically Hogan trap design). I used this method last summer, and it worked well to get bees permanently into the trap. But I couldn't get the queen out of the tree. So I gave up on it because it seemed too late in the season for them to make their own queen (from a brood frame from my other hive bees).
So I'm trying the trap again this spring. If I move the trapped bees into a hive about 1/4 mile away, will they abscond back to the home tree? -I figured I would check and make sure they've produced queen cells, move the new hive to where my other hive is, and lock them in there (with syrup) for a day or two, and then open them up. This is bear country around here, and they're active this spring, so I'm reluctant to leave the new hive on a neighbor's property without bear protection.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Some of the foragers will go back, but, most will stay in the new location if it is 1/4 mile away. If they have started queen cells that will help to anchor them.

cchoganjr

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some of the foragers will go back, but, most will stay in the new location if it is 1/4 mile away. If they have started queen cells that will help to anchor them.

cchoganjr
Cool. Thanks for the info, Cleo.
By the way, while I was working on this trap-out of the feral colony (and planning on using brood from my strong hive bee colony) -the hive colony swarmed! Now I'm not sure if they'll be strong enough to use some brood frames from them.

"If you want to make God laugh, tell Him what your plans are."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts