Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Honey? Great. Queen rearing? Things were running behind and there has been too much rain. If I had time, it might go better now. Blooming now: yellow and white sweet clover, white dutch clover, birdsfoot trefioil, alfalfa, chicory, purple prairie clover, dandelions (of course). Wild mustard is starting to run out but some of it is still blooming. Poison hemlock. Thistles (unfortunately).

·
Registered
309 Posts
I am not officially a nebraskin but I work there and live in the losses hills north of mo valley.
I am still trying to learn all the names of the flora around here but so far I know they are working the golden rod pretty well and lots of alfalfa and two types of clover. We frost seeded a good part of our land with trefoil and red clover for our IPPS (pasture pigs) but the seeding has not bloomed well yet even though the plats have seem to come up well.
I used to think golden rod was awful stuff..now I go out their to listen to the songs of my bees working. I have Italians and carni's and there is a huge difference in their population and busyness. I just hope they go in to winter as strong as they seem to be now. We have a lavender farm down the way that I plan to hit up once I get more time underneath my belt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Packages seemed slow to build. 7/12 were topping off the brood nest with honey. One had 70% super filled with honey. Another 20%. Looking forward to checking on Saturday!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts