Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Wake County sheriff's deputy found himself in the middle of a swarm of bees Tuesday when he went to check on a report of a disabled truck near the Smithfield Road exit off U.S. Highway 64.

The truck, pulling a trailer of honeybee hives being moved from Mount Airy to Rocky Mount, broke down before dawn, said Phyllis Stephens, a spokeswoman for the sheriff's office. When the sun rose and the bees became active, they began to fly around. Deputy Brandon Jenkins took shelter in his car, which was quickly covered with the bees.

The sheriff's office called for help from local beekeeper Charles Heatherly and Jennifer Keller, from the apiculture department at North Carolina State University. The experts spritzed the bees with sugar water and coaxed many of them back into boxes for transport.

Great picture gallery: http://www.wral.com/traffic/image_gallery/8148548/

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Jenn Kelly to the rescue.... wouldn't you know it. Down here we call her "The Grafter".

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I thought trucks were required to have a net over the entire load. How are they transported to California without a net?
They were being transported during the night. Nets not necessary - bees stay in their hives.... but then they broke down and the sun came up. Nearly happened to us... too, so I understand.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I saw a report about it on a Charlotte TV station. The reporter said they were BUMBLEBEES!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
hi
we have been hauling bees around for over 35 years. there is no requirement between ny and sc for nets. it is just a matter of common sense. this fellow just took a chance but broke down. we always use a net and fasten this to the hives with firing strips. if done correct it will be very bee tight. it is very easy going south in the fall but the real test is going north in the spring with strong hives. never enclose the bees in a hive. they need the ability to come out to keep the hive from overheating.
thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts