Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've not been witness to the mass drone exile. I walked up to my hive today to see all the bodies laid outside the entrance being devoured by ants, and a few lucky ones able to wrestle free from the workers and run back inside, only to delay the inevitable. Definitely in a dearth right now, and it seems the girls have decided there are too many mouths to feed. Nature is not always nice.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
I agree with Drionzo, nature is efficient. One of our lady friend's husband died today. He died from Alzheimer's disease. He hasn't known where he was for the past year. It was God's blessing that he died. The efficiency is that now his family doesn't have to take care of him 24-7. Maybe the better term is not cruel but efficient, and maybe efficient is the happiest ending. If the bees kept the drones, they would not have as much brood hatching out and the hive could get weak and perhaps die. I think nature is efficient and merciful.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, I'm not saying it's necessarily a sad event, as the hive needs to do what's best for the colony as a whole, but it's still a brutal part of how 'honest' nature is. There are exceptions, but to me, nature is not compassionate and I really don't see mercy in the realm either. nature will always be in balance, and if the balance shifts, she will do her best to shift it back.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
You see real brutality once hives start a robbing spree. Killing the weaker hives in hours one by one. You certainly loose your picture of the friendly and peaceful honeybee when watching this. Plain ugly brutality.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Mother Nature is not kind, but she is fair. She always (eventually)puts things in balance. There is one creature here though that is giving her fits! It thinks it is helping Mother Nature.;)

I have a chipmunk that is doing cleanup detail around the hives.

·
Registered
159 Posts
While common and very tempting, anthropomorphizing is dangerous. Bees are not brutal or lucky or friendly or peaceful. Those are human traits.

Nature is also not efficient. Efficiency would be for a hive to rear the exact number of drones it needed.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
While common and very tempting, anthropomorphizing is dangerous. Bees are not brutal or lucky or friendly or peaceful. Those are human traits.
I agree with you John. Man is unique to all other created things. If you were to conclude that man should be like the bees and be 'efficient', then you would see brutality, slaughter, suffering, etc.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with you John. Man is unique to all other created things. If you were to conclude that man should be like the bees and be 'efficient', then you would see brutality, slaughter, suffering, etc.
I'm biting my tongue on this one!

·
Registered
72 Posts
IMG_3189-crop.jpg wasp dismantling and eating a sorry-looking drone alive. i was thinking of stepping on them to put him out of his misery, but... nature. next week something will be eating the wasp.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nature has a way of taking care of things "naturally". Mankind suffers from compassion, greed, envy, gluttony, guilt, and other sins. That is what makes our society so much different than that of the bees. If we were left to follow the laws of nature, our society would be so much better....

But at least we have the capability to see the complexity of nature and learn from it. Bees just have to live on instinct.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts