Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - I'm new.
Need to get a Jacket. Gonna pass on full suit.
Like that 100% cotton is cooler than poly/cotton.
Have not seen one of those.
Yes, vent is heavy and bulky.
Drove 2 hrs to check out materials and try on jackets for size and veils. (poly/cotton & vent)
Both small jackets hard to get on and veil on and even with hubby's ball cap on, veils still sloppy.
Biggest complaint is the tops of the jackets were wide and not up around my neck in case I wanted to use a different veil. The poly/cotton one was almost as wide as the zipper for the veil - I would need to put some kind of strap inside to keep it on my shoulders.

So - I saw this one online - Natural Apiary.
Like what I see - zip up neck like a regular light jacket - can use their veil or can use a soft one that would fit better.

Anybody familiar with these people ??

Thanks

·
Registered
629 Posts
No experience with that vender.

I wanted to tell you my experience with cotton vs cotton/poly. I did landscaping as a career so I did physical work outside in the central valley of California. Summers I always counted on at least 10 days of 100 F plus. I started with cotton cloths but switched to cotton/poly after the first year. Cotton doesn't dry out like cotton/poly. All day in sweaty clothes is no fun in you can help it.

I have a full suit all cotton. I've been thinking of going to a vented suit. I just got Dadant's catalog and saw they have their vented jackets from $87 to $101 each. Those both have veils attached. Go a size larger than you usually use for more room, less stings through tight areas when you bend and stretch.

·
Registered
195 Posts
dont know that vendor- i switched from cotton to ventilated jacket last year- what a difference- any breeze and you can feel it thru jacket- no stings thru it - got at Brushy Mountain- little more than i wanted to pay - but after using last summer it was worth it- would think it would be beneficial in southern states

·
Registered
49 Posts
Agree with Tenbears--Ultrabreeze the way to go. I'm in Houston and before I got the Ultra, I used to dread going out to the yard in my original Dadant cotton jumpsuit. Not so now with the Ultra, makes beeyard activities bearable.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Amen to a ventilated jacket. Wearing a jacket during summer is still going to be hot but it's the lesser of the evils if the girls are beyond just a veil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
LOL I usually work my bees in shorts and sandals with a white T shirt and no veil or gloves. I have a veil but it is hot so I choose not to wear it.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I used to do that Muzkrat. Don't know how long you have had bees, but I would bet that will change if you continue to keep bees. G

·
Registered
421 Posts
wear the veil, and shoes not sandals so they don't crawl under your toe and light you up.
it is possible for a sting on the eye to ruin your sight.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
wear the veil, and shoes not sandals so they don't crawl under your toe and light you up.
it is possible for a sting on the eye to ruin your sight.
I can't even wear the sandals near the open feeder. They seem to always land and crawl in that one area, that will get them killed and me stung.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all - guess I better not only think about getting a vent jacket - but better reconsider about not getting a suit also.
Learn so much here and a few grins too. Thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts