Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a big hive of yellow jackets in the eve of my house. I have been checking my hive and I do see one or two from tome to time but nothing I worry about....but my problem is how to get rid of these things from MY HOME!!!

I went out and did a search but didn't find much on how to kill them....anyone here have ideas on this...they are dug in deep into the eve!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I waited 'til night. Filled a stainless steel gallon pot with soapy water. In a moment the pot was on the VERY LARGE hive and buzzing and foaming. In one minute they were all dead. I don't recommend this for the faint of heart or slow of motion.
I thought for sure by 11:00 PM they would all be in the hive. Nope. About a dozen guardians were posted on the exterior but they weren't active. I could not believe the size of the drone and multiple queen larva the next day!

------------------
the ~ox-{ at www.singingfalls.com

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I was a youngster growing up in Texas,
we used to have yellow jackets build a nest right on the front porch, directly over where one would need walk to get in the front door.
One removal I witnessed, was to wrap (or tie) a rag on a long stick. Soak the rag in gasoline...
It's the fumes evaporating from the rag that kills them.
One need not place the rag real close.
Held a few feet (or a foot, if 3 proves too far away) underneath the nest, will result in the fumes rising onto the cluster, killing the yellow jackets.

Of course, DO NOT light the gasoline soaked rag!

Wear long sleeves and pants.
A bandana, or something wrapped around one's head and face might help one be brave.
From what I witnessed, the yellow jackets just fell, without reacting defensively.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm a fan of the raid wasp and hornet stuff. it works INSTANTLY and if you soak the nest after squirting the entrance first, it kills them all. I was pretty apprehensice the first time I did a soccerball sized nest but amazed the next day when there was not a single live one left, though quite a pile underneath-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts