Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to order all of my equipment, including protection. When I took my course at the U of M they showed several bee suits. One of the suits on display was a space suit. Seriously, it looked like a space suit. The professor said it protected beekeepers from 99.9% of stings and was used by students in the entomology department when they were allergic to bee stings (no one ever got stung). Does anyone know where to buy this suit? I've searched online and in the catalogs that were given to us but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hate to discourage anyone from buying equipment, but is there some reason you want a NASA type suit like that? Are you allergic? If you are deathly allergic to stings, this is probably not the best hobby for you. Because you will be stung. No question. Bees however, are generally pretty gentle and NASA type protection is probably going to seem to you to be gross overkill after a couple weeks. If you just have a few hobby hives, I bet this is more protection then you'll ever need.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
It is beyond just protection. The Ultra Breeze or
Golden Bee suits are mostly about comfort. In the
heat (even northern) these ventilated suits are
worth their weight in gold.

You will never, ever, regret buying one.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I have been stung and know I will get stung again. I am not alergic - the stings hurt for a while, swell quite a bit, and itch like the dickens for several days.

Maybe this makes me less of a beekeeper, but I would rather not get stung if I can help it.

Simple as that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would inquire at the Uof Mn where they got them,if you can. Also a tip, we put lye soup bar shave some off in pint or half pint jar and made a salve, so far it worked on Sceeter and other bites that itch, just got started so don't know about bee stings affects. Also we use Ice on bothersome bites and this works fast and takes down swelling. Stay calm and work slow , my DW gets bit by wasps and others here, I haven't been bit in so many years i can't remember, i don't swat honey bees , but i do speak to them kindly
:) . Seriously i know the day i get bit is comming soon, it is part of the hobby, i will not blame them ,will hate to loose them though. I am more concerned about Preditiors messing with Bees, we have Bears not so far away, and all kinds of wildlife , like wild Rats, Squirrels that poach anything they can. I would listen to the others in this great group and purchase what they recomend,in my case i have to go HillBilly Style ,duct tape etc. Although i did inherit a hood Vail , so i am thankful for that. Best Wishes, and let us know what type and how you like the suit, AJ and Denise
What variety of bees to you plan to get ?
Best wishes, AJ and Denise

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe this makes me less of a beekeeper, but I would rather not get stung if I can help it.
The statement above basically applies to me as well :) I know it sounds crazy but I just don't want to experience something I don't have to. If I get stung, I get stung, but if there is possibly a way to avoid it, I will. I've heard gloves get in the way and therefore, if I find that I don't feel comfy using them I'll get rid of them. Same with the suit. I want to start off as protected as possible since I'm nervous and once I'm comfortable with my bees I may feel differently but the suit will help me relax initially if I don't have to think about being stung. If that makes sense.

Thank you for the link Hambone! Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
There does seem to be a level of machismo around
bee suits and gloves..... I am with you Mike.... Been
stung, will be stung, not overly fond of it. So the
Golden Bee suit goes on most every time....;)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe it was a chemical protection suit.
Maybe, come to think of it - yes, it had that look. I'm sure it will be a very hot suit in summer because it looked padded somewhat and a little shiney (which was weird) but I just got through reading a thread on here about bee stings and seeing the picture of the boy with the swollen hand and now I really really want that suit. LOL!

I've been stung about 7 times in my entire life yet I don't know if I've ever been stung by a honeybee. I've been stung by yellow jackets and one bumble bee (the bumble bee was the worst) and stung once on my back where it swelled lemon size, left a hole, and itched for several days, is that a honeybee sting?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hi Soap Pixie,

I don't enjoy getting stung ( I don't go out looking for it), but I don't really mind it that much either. It's come to the point where I hardly have any reaction. The trick is to get the stinger out asap. So My equipment is basically just a veil. But I like what you say:

"...I want to start off as protected as possible since I'm nervous and once I'm comfortable with my bees I may feel differently but the suit will help me relax initially if I don't have to think about being stung."

If it helps you relax then it's worth it. I just find them a little too pricey for my wallet.

Enjoy your bees.

Luc

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Luc for understanding :)

I guess I'm approaching bees the way I approached making lye soap for the first time. Initially I was a nervous wreck and suited up like I was going for a walk on the moon. Each time I made a batch I became more and more confident. Now here I am years later and I make soap without worrying about lye, no apron, face mask, etc... I'm thinking the same will occur with the bees. Once I'm confident and see how things work eventually I'll just use the veil. Baby steps :D

Wow! Rohe, now that is a suit. I would definitely be willing to get that one if I could afford it :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wear the really light, looks like mosquito netting, veil that mann lake has, a long sleeve khaki colored shirt, jeans, and the gloves. I got stung once last year and that was when I was kneeling next to the hive and the jeans were stretched tight against my knee. That's including when I brushed the bees off the frames of honey, about 15 supers, and I know they were ticked off. A lot of the guys on here talk about painters overalls and if you are worried I'd go with that and skip the expensive suit. The gloves are a bit of a bother and if I didn't swell up so bad that it was hard to do my real job I'd forgo using them. The stings aren't really that bad.
Nuke

·
Registered
323 Posts
try putting oral gel on stings ,, yea the stuff for babys teething .
myself if I have my shirt on they crawl up under and then I get stung , so when I work the hive I take my shirt off . last year started out with 8 hives for half the summer , then my son took 3 , so I had 5 the rest of summer ,, I got stung 14 times on my hands from smashing them .. worst place I found to get stung is between the fingers on the webbing part .

1 - 20 of 21 Posts