Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,144 Posts
You may wish to call Kelley. Reportedly they did offer 1.25" end bars, and may still do. They do not seem to appear in their online catalog.

One "reported" issue with those bars is that Kelley may be simply shaving off 1/8" on one side of the bar, rather than 1/16" off each side.

All of the above is just from other Beesource posts - I make my own end bars.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Does anybody sell 1.25" frames?
Last year for my brood champer frames I shaved 1/8 off one side of the frames to get 1-1/4 spacing. I had to orient the shaved side of all frames in the same direction, but it worked out well. I went foundationless on these frames, and was happy with the results.

I modified the center of the top-bar of the frames, removing a piece from each to allow egress for the bees, as the shaving reduced the space between frames to about 1/8 inch.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've been thinking of reducing the width for my brood chamber. One thing that concerns me is rolling the queen. I guess the reduction in space is not that significant?

Also, think "girl" for your response please. How do you shave off the frame? I was thinking of sandpaper, but that may not be very precise. Or a chisel? 1/16 of an inch is quite precise.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
One thing that concerns me is rolling the queen
The risk of rolling the bees may actually be less since there will be fewer bees between the frames but you still want to go-slow...

Also, think "girl" for your response please. How do you shave off the frame? I was thinking of sandpaper, but that may not be very precise. Or a chisel? 1/16 of an inch is quite precise.
A "block plane" will do the job. It will take some time to adjust the blade to where you want it. I have only used a table saw. If you had new, unassembled frames I would definitely recruit a friend or neighbor with a table saw to help with the project. I would suggest that you also thin down the top bars. I don't have a router, but I have two friends with woodworking equipment.

http://homedepot.com/p/Buck-Bros-6-1-2-in-Block-Plane-120C2/100351887?N=5yc1vZc1zi

·
Registered
143 Posts
We have a plane and a table saw, so that's good. I'll check it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
685 Posts
If you shave 1/8" off "opposite sides" of the end bars you can line the frames up any way you like and it will always maintain 1 1/4" spacing between bars..
Brilliant! Such a simple solution, it's sort of counter intuitive so I had to draw it out on paper. Works like a charm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts