Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Re: Narrow frames?

I prefer 7/8" wide Top Bars (in my frames), and 1-1/4" wide End Bars - especially for use in my brood nests. It would seem, that this spacing, may inspire the bees to build more worker comb in the brood nest area, than drone comb. But, it also helps keep them from using drone comb that is so close together, for raising drones. Instead they use it to store food resources, nectar, honey, and sometimes beebread. I found that this style frame was not available anywhere, from equipment manufacturers, so, initially I modified those I purchased. Now, after getting a few more pieces of woodworking equipment, I design and build my own.

It is also, I've discovered, easier to get the bees to raise drones, when and where, I want them. I simply place a drone comb in the center of the brood nest, but provide adequate spacing on each side, for drones - the bees nearly always oblige me with a nice comb of drone brood.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Wait until you have a really good year and a dozen hives and you won't be talking about top bar hives, I suspect. We extracted almost 200 lbs of honey this year in an afternoon from two Langs, and expect four times as much next year. Crush and strain for that amount of honey would be a colossal mess.

My buddies with top bar hives have serious problems with swarm control, too, with limited means to do anything about it. Hard to get, let alone store, drawn comb on top bars.

Peter

21 - 22 of 22 Posts