Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
Couple of things I noticed, there were others that were not all that important.

Honey bees are not flower specific. They do exhibit floral fidelity which is not the same. Due to floral fidelity, the pollen on a bee's body will be the correct pollen to pollinate the next flower she visits.

Male honey bees only mate once.

Virgin queens may make several mating flights within a few day's time.

Hive separation and alternating entrances are better ways to prevent drifting than colors alone.

Honey bees will fly at 50° F. Wing muscles need to be at about 77°F to operate. During flight, the muscles will raise the temperature of the thorax up by 27°. Prior to flight on a cold day, the bees will vibrate their flight muscles to warm them up.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,881 Posts
You can break it down into parts and attach each part separately.

·
Registered
464 Posts
"They cannot fly when the temperature is below 55"
I've seen this a bunch of times, and it is obviously not true. And this is on a beekeeper test?

Unless my bees are freaks of nature, but they were flying at 43F today, pooping everywhere.

·
Registered
25 colonies
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've seen this a bunch of times, and it is obviously not true. And this is on a beekeeper test?

Unless my bees are freaks of nature, but they were flying at 43F today, pooping everywhere.
Yeah, mine fly at 35F I Just found the most common answer and added it to the study guide.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
5,360 Posts
Yeah, mine fly at 35F I Just found the most common answer and added it to the study guide.
haha
this is like the "network" tests I took
you need the answer the test writer expects, not necessary what you see.
Hopefully there is a study guide which offers dialog and the answers are burred in it some where, or a recommend book.

good luck
its called book smart for a reason.
temporarily set aside what you think you know, learn what they want your to know ,take the test, an move on.

GG

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts

Yep. I don’t know how warm their little bodies are on the inside, but mine go pretty good at 43F. Oddly, they don’t kick into 2nd gear until near 60-65F. At that point they know beach weather is coming, I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.