Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on a local club forum elsewhere too, but feeling a little anxious for the poor queen so posting here too.

I picked up a hive from a fellow beek. It was a weak split. When I did my first full inspection yesterday, there was no queen, which wasn't a complete surprise given the behavior of the bees for the prior 3 days of settling in.

Anyway, today I went to replace the syrup jar when a few feet away was a queen walking around. I wasn't sure if it was theirs so put her a bit closer to the hive when a few bees immediately came over and jumped her. I saved her, but figure either she was their queen and was evicted, or is ??? I actually am not certain what else she might be as she definitely isn't from my other hive.

She didn't try to fly away at all and right now is resting indoors. Is she a defective queen? Should I try to introduce her to the queenless hive? What are the options? (I was already planning to get a new queen tomorrow.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are already getting a new queen and don't need her, pinch her and get ready for the new queen. Do you have a nuc and some extra frames you could make a split with? See if she is still a fertile queen and start another hive if you want.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Yep, this morning I too discovered a similar situation, I was checking a mating condo (four - two-frame compartments), when I discovered two queens together in a ball of bees, when I broke it up (with the smoker), I discovered the Cordovan colored queen that belonged in this compartment and the distinctly colored virgin from the compartment next door. This is frustrating and curious, especially since entrances of adjacent compartments are on opposite ends of the condo. I may need to take even more measures to reduce this confusion.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I think I found her provenance. A neighbor from the building next door I was talking to asked 'What about those bees on the third floor'. When I asked her what she was talking about, she took me to look at the side of the building I live in and there at the top floor was a simply huge amount of bees coming in and out of some wide slats. Apparently had been there a couple years at least.

I find it very funny that there is a large hive of bees living in my building that I was unaware of when getting into beekeeping a couple months ago.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Isn't it amazing how long they can go unnoticed somewhere, and all of a sudden everyone is freaking out because they are there. I have people ask me about removing them from someplace, and they say they aren't really bothering anyone, but they need to go away. No idea how long they were there, but now they need to leave ASAP!!!!

I will do a removal, if necessary, but would rather leave them and explain that they have likely been there for years, and were just noticed. If they aren't bothering anyone, why bother them....

At the same time, if there is a real threat (confirmed allergy, unsafe location for them, etc) I will remove and relocate as soon as I can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts