Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed package yesterday. Queen left in cage but cork removed and candy perforated with ice pick. She looked well with 3 or4 workers. Cage suspended mid deep. Package looked generous in # with "normal" single layer of dead workers on bottom of package box. Entrance feeder with 1 to 1 syrup installed. Less than 24 hours later I observed a bee outside the hive entrance on bottom board that was a queen but sort of standing there looking cold (it was a rainy 60 degree day with 10 mph north wind) and ? disoriented. Entrance was 80 % occluded. There were a few workers outside as well. I pushed her back inside the hive but I am confused about what I saw. Any comments. I didn't open the hive due to the wind and cold. The package had only consumed a pint or so of the sugar syrup. Should I go ahead and order a new queen? This is my 2nd year and have a lot to learn.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
It is possible but not probable caged queen is out already unless you mostly cleared it with pick. More likely 2nd queen or stray than that caged queen has been rejected.
I have seen resident queen outside for 2 days running before, would not panic. If you have a brood frame that will help anchor them. If not I would leave them alone and see how they act, watch for pollen and normal traffic.
If you do have a rejection problem poking around is going to make it worse. Rain is your friend. I would not open to retrieve the cage until the 4th day unless they were acting normally before that. The most that will happen from the cage is a little messy comb.
60 is a heat wave!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
She may have been a stray virgin that was shaken into the package. It is actually pretty common.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts