Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have requeened a weak hive this year with a VSH, and bought one VSH Nuc. I bought both of these from a local beekeeper who bought his breeders from Glenn's. I'm very happy with the quality I'm seeing so far. The Nuc had to be moved to a 10 frame because it was so full and productive.

The weak hive I believe is starting to turn the corner.

Anybody else with VSH out there seeing good results?

If you're interested in that line, PM me and I'll give you contact info. They are just starting out in queen rearing and Nuc production so they are not producing a lot but I'm impressed so far.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My VSH are doing good, all are at least 5 frames. The youngest nuc is 42 days old or so. Was hoping that they would get a little bigger, but the flow was messed up.

Kingfisher

·
Registered
831 Posts
I just recieved my Carni X VSH II breeder queen from Glenns. I will be installing it today. I cant wait to evaluate her daughters next spring.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I got 2 packages with VSH/SMR x Russian/SMR queens from Shamrock S 4/1. They have filled out 10 deep frames and are working on the second 10... queens are a little tough to see, they tend to run on the combs. Otherwise, very nice bees and if they survive my winter, I'll order more queens from them next spring.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I picked up 4 VSH nucs in the end of April that may have come from the same supplier as yours. It was in your area. Their breeders were from Glenn. They are all doing great. Two are in deeps with supers and two in mediums with supers. I am also trying out some Russians from the same supplier.

Richard

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear. I agree the queens can be a little more difficult to find and seem to vanish when I open it up. So far they seem to be very hard workers.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not planning on treating. I'm tired of smelling like menthol and thymol all the time. Plus I think we all need to move away from it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts