Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed two new nucs into brand new hives. These are my first bees since my only single hive died off last winter.
Today I opened both hives to check the queen cages and the syrup level, 3 days after installing the two new nucs.

One queen had been released by the bees, the other had a big hole in the candy but not quite enough for the queen to get out, so i put that cage back.

The busier hive with the released queen had gone through all their syrup so I replaced it with fresh. I saw they were starting to build drone comb on the frame of drone foundation I had given them. They were mad at me for pushing the frames together and removing the cage, and i got stung once on the knee. lol! I closed them up quickly after that. Had my veil and gloves on, but next time will definitely use a bit of smoke. i just didn't want to puff smoke today on top of the frames right where the queen cages were. Like blowing cigar smoke right in Queen Elizabeth's face. :eek:

The other hive with the queen still in cage had a couple cups of syrup left, so I left them alone. Will check them in another two days.

Both hives have girls bringing in pollen all day yesterday and today, so a good sign.
This evening when I went to look at the hives, I saw some girls washboarding around the upper entrance of the stronger hive. Scrubbing floors already!

Things are looking ok, we're having some great hot weather for them now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
congrats on your new hives. they are both sounding good.

agree with AmericasBeekeeper, you can release the queen after three days in the cage. set the cage up on the top bars and inspect how the workers are treating her. If they are trying to sting her then she needs more time in the cage. If you see the workers trying to feed her or have a gentle behavior she is good to release.

·
Registered
429 Posts
think about how long it has been since you put the syrup on, and how much you put on them. how long will what was left last?? When I go in to add syrup either they don't need it and I remove what is left, or I will add more to whatever is there. They can go through 3 cups in a day easy. So you risk them not having anything to help draw for a couple days until you can get back, or wasting the sugar because they won't take it. Sugar isn't that expensive, and drawn comb for a new package is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts