Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Got a swarm call on 4-1-10 drove 40 miles to get them ......Then found out the swarm was in a ply-wood box 18x18x32 and had been for 2 years?????solution was to move the box 4 ft. let it rest for 20 min. to see if the bees stayed there or went back to the wall it was resting against.All the bees stayed with the box so I wraped a bed sheet around it and took them home. No smoke,no gloves just a vail and no stings.probaly about 8-10 lbs. of bees.;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I don't have a picture, but last year I went to pick up a swarm. I took a bottom board, a deep, inner cover and top. They almost didn't fit into the deep. They were hanging on a small branch, which I snipped, lowered into the box and shook them in. I had to gingerly put the frames in.

After taking to the bee yard, I added another deep. Instant bee hive!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
yeah this thing was HUGE and it took two deeps to fit them in
Yes, I had one about a week ago that it took a deep and a medium. It was from one of Michael Bush's queens, and I estimate that it was 6-7# of bees. Your swarm is bigger by about a third.

im guessing in the area of 6-7lbs of bees
One thing is for sure, that is you are not that good at guesstimating. I would just ask you this, have you ever purchased [or seen] 3#pckgs? Now take that swarm and divide it up into your estimate of 3#pckgs. Now tell me if you only think that that is only two 3#pckgs. I need to go fishing with you as my fish would always be bigger:lpf:.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
im pretty good at estimating - since the bees were on a 4x4 post that was 5 feet tall - i think its pretty close to 6-7lbs - could be more but im guessing on the less side -

also i dont do the wimpy little 3lbs packs anymore - i do 4-5lbs

start big end bigger !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
also i dont do the wimpy little 3lbs packs anymore - i do 4-5lbs
Could be an optical illusion but, my understanding is that there is about 3500 +/- bees to a pound. Also, have always heard that a 5 frame nuc will have more bees than a 3# package. Sure seems to me like you have more than 3 5 frame nucs there. But like I said, my fish must be bigger than yours:lpf:. At any rate, that is probably the largest swarm I have ever seen.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Thats the biggest swarm I ever saw!

·
Registered
281 Posts
lol.. looks like a head with ears and a chin and upper body with a stogie in its mouth :p

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah its got some character !!!! almost needs a name !!!!

i thought about putting a hat on it before we hived it

cool thing is that they marked that pole and had 3 other swarms land on it

one thing ive learned it that if someone calls to have a swarm removed - it will not be there last !!!!-- that scent is waterproof

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Video and picture

This was a big one that came into my dead Gargantua hive. It flew in for about ten minutes. The box had only five 19" deep frames in it, so I filled the empty spots with 11 1/4" frames of foundation that I had on hand so that they would not hang comb from the cover. Could someone come over and help me process the honey filled 19" frames so that I can put them back in? Gargantua hives, one of my dumber ideas...

Click pic below to view video.

·
Registered
210 Posts
took my hives that were big enough to swarm this year and pulled frames of brood and put them in hives that were smaller to give them a little boost. Now you watch I probably will be chasing swarms from all of them now.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts