Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to put on a queen excluder and came back after about 9-10 days and was pissed. Not only did the queen lay all over the place in the 3 supers, but the bees ate a TON of the honey they had stored in the supers. Yes, we are in a dearth now. Did they eat more honey than normal to give the queen a place to lay? I don't know why she had to lay up in the supers when there were empty cells in the 2 deeps. Looking at a lot of lost honey/money here..... :eek:

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't see how you could possibly have lost a TON of $$$ from only one hive.

As far as the bees eating the honey, um, they are bees. That's what the honey is for,lol. They eat what they need and you take the surplus, if there is a surplus. They don't sit around eating to get fat, they eat because they need to. If the honey had not been there for them they might have starved out. Or, at least, your queen might have stopped laying.

They won't have eaten more than they needed just to make room for the queen to lay in, especially if there was available space which she could have gotten to. They might have MOVED honey to make room for her if needed, but they would not have eaten all of it just to make room for eggs.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
south of the equator the bees are "mid winter" getting a good start on spring build-up. the winters are not too severe in indonesia as far as i know.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I forgot to put on a queen excluder and came back after about 9-10 days and was pissed. Not only did the queen lay all over the place in the 3 supers, but the bees ate a TON of the honey they had stored in the supers. Yes, we are in a dearth now. Did they eat more honey than normal to give the queen a place to lay? I don't know why she had to lay up in the supers when there were empty cells in the 2 deeps. Looking at a lot of lost honey/money here..... :eek:
Maybe it was due to robbin?

·
Super Moderator
11,181 Posts
LOL. I used to be in Indo but am back in PA now. For some reason I can't update my location.
The only way to update member location data is to send a PM request to admin Barry.
(click the underlined link, then click "Send Private Message")

[hr] [/hr]

I'm putting this in a public post instead of a PM because this issue is not limited to just one member. As you can see, accurate location data is important to get thread replies that are relevant to the thread topic.

If you are reading this, and your displayed location is not current, send a PM location update request to Barry. :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate that but I did send a PM to Barry months ago requesting a location update, but never received any reply.
Rader Sidetrack1456592 said:
The only way to update member location data is to send a PM request to admin Barry.
(click the underlined link, then click "Send Private Message")

[hr] [/hr]

I'm putting this in a public post instead of a PM because this issue is not limited to just one member. As you can see, accurate location data is important to get thread replies that are relevant to the thread topic.

If you are reading this, and your displayed location is not current, send a PM location update request to Barry. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts