Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi both my hives are now on wooden stands that sit on top of 4 concrete pavers each. I was wondering will the larva fall on them and work their way to the ground. Im pretty sure one hive is lost to SHB it was a new nuc alil over a month ago and isn't looking good. But I still want to try and prevent the problem from happening again. I thought of jus putting a square cooking tin foil thing under them with water or mineral oil or what not under them since I do have screened bottom boards. Any help will be appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I keep oil pans on all my hives. SHBs wind up in the oil instead of the hive. Which means that there are no larvae surviving to reach the ground. So no SHB problems AND they also put an end to my carpenter ant problems. For me that's been a win-win!

Rusty

·
Registered
638 Posts
Im pretty sure one hive is lost to SHB it was a new nuc alil over a month ago and isn't looking good. Any help will be appreciated!!!!
I had similar situation. New nuc got slimed out. The Queen was still there so I took out the slimed frames and added some clean frames from another hive or two. Since this hive had been slimed and robbed out, I did have to feed them (still am). It's been a month now and it's made a slow recovery but it's still alive and getting stronger. Check for your queen...if still there...there is a chance still.
As for the SHB.......nasty pest that is gonna be a constant battle for me. oil traps inside and at bottom are so far the only tools. Check-mite is a pesticide that kills them inside the hive. Havent tried that as of yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts