Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This spring my son needed a science fair project so we decided to do a little experiment of our own. After seeing the results of a few studies that show that SC hives actually have more mites and the SC advocates arguing that one year isn't enough we decided to use some older hives.

I have about 100 or so small cell hives (started on Honey Super Cell) started in the spring of 2007 and 2008. I'm a commercial beek and run about 1600 hives. In the spring of 2009 we, at random, grabbed 8 small cell hives and 8 regular hives and moved them all to the same isolated yard. In the beginning of June We did an initial natural mite drop with sticky boards and waited 2 days. Most hives didn't drop anything although a few dropped 1 or 2. I figured my fall mite treatment (In December in Cali. with vaporized Oxalyc acid) must've really done a good job or maybe mites just don't fall much naturally?

We ran the hives like normal during the season keeping close record of the honey pulled from each hive (what a pain, counting each frame). Anyway, in October I put a mite treatment on the hives and a sticky board under each one and waited 3 days. This is the average of what we found:

Honey: SC - 54 LBS per hive LC - 68 LBS per hive
Size: SC - 11.3 frames bees LC - 13.5 frames of bees
Mites: SC - 142 mites per hive LC - 202 mites per hive

Oh, one of the SC hives died half way through the season due to queen failure so it was not averaged in.

We used 10 frame equipment with 9 frames per box in double deeps. Anyway, LC hives were bigger, made more honey and had more mites. We're going to check them again this week in Cali. to see how they're fairing and maybe do another mite count.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Thanks for doing this study. Are you able to report whether the hives were requeened in the previous fall or this spring with young queens.

Also, are you able to report estimated population of the hives -- With Small Cell, my understanding is that you get alot more bees per frame. Thanks.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As a suggestion this next year could you weigh the hives at the beginning of the season and again before you harvest honey? That was what I intended to do. I was going to use a frame mounted spring scale mounted on a truck or a front loader of a farm tractor. I think the bottom board could be built so it could be picked up without disturbing the bees??? Anyone have a suggestion, I might still do this in the future.
Myron Denny
Glencoe, Okla

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
Also, are you able to report estimated population of the hives -- With Small Cell, my understanding is that you get alot more bees per frame.
From the original post.
Honey: SC - 54 LBS per hive LC - 68 LBS per hive
Size: SC - 11.3 frames bees LC - 13.5 frames of bees
Mites: SC - 142 mites per hive LC - 202 mites per hive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts