Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I plan on trying to do foundationless and treatment free and I have a buddy that is going to do the same along side of me.

I plan on possibly building some boxes later and will be using pneumatic tools to assemble these.

I know I'm missing a few things like a jacket/veil for me, but I will be getting an Ultra Breeze and my buddy has a few veils as well. I don't have 2 tops or bottoms because I'll likely build my 2nd one unless somehow it doesn't seem worth it, I just wanted the "real deal" to check out and compare.

Getting a mini set for the baby as she has a lot of interest in bugs and especially bees so, I don't want to have to tell her "get back" and not be involved.

So what do you guys thing? Feel free to tell me if something I'm buying is over kill or something, I won't get my feelings hurt.

Bees1.jpg
Bees2.jpg
Bees3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,032 Posts
If you are planning 2 hives, get two of the screened oil trays initially and pay for it by building your own top covers, drop the excluder for now, and use a 5 gallon bucket in place of that $60 toolbox. If that "varroa tray" is not suitable for oil or some other substance that will kill whatever gets in there then rethink that and buy something elsewhere or drop the screened bottom entirely. If those round feeders are "open" feeders, I'd drop those too. You can make those quite easily. :lookout:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are planning 2 hives, get two of the screened oil trays initially and pay for it by building your own top covers, drop the excluder for now, and use a 5 gallon bucket in place of that $60 toolbox. If those round feeders are "open" feeders, I'd drop those too. You can make those quite easily.
Not sure what I'll use the excluder for, possibly more as an includer when putting in the packages or something.

Is the oil trays that important? I figured I'd check it out and maybe build my 2nd one... is that a bad idea?

The thing I like about the tool box was that it holds frames so I could transport bees with it as well if I needed... but I figured I could pretty easily build it as well... just didn't know. I toiled back and forth on it for sure. Still feel like it is a LOT of money for something that simple.

·
Super Moderator
11,032 Posts
If you are planning on building some equipment, start by building a "nuc" box. You can use that to carry frames with bees around, and use it as nuc also. Unless you like spending money, look for ways to make things do double duty. For instance unused hive bodies can be temporary swarm traps with a plywood top and an improvised bottom board with a slot for an entrance.

As far as oil trays, opinions vary. :rolleyes: But if you can't use it for an oil tray, then why are you choosing that over a solid bottom? What do you want to accomplish?

Start scrounging/hoarding any plywood and other useful boards you can get for free or real cheap. :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you are planning on building some equipment, start by building a "nuc" box. You can use that to carry frames with bees around, and use it as nuc also.
Plan on something like this, not sure yet since I'm doing mediums and a lot of ppl just say a 8 frame medium is a good nuke. I also like that quiet box that a saw in a vid a while back.

Unless you like spending money, look for ways to make things do double duty. For instance unused hive bodies can be temporary swarm traps with a plywood top and an improvised bottom board with a slot for an entrance.
I'm definitely gonna build some dedicated ones as well to put up in a tree, or maybe just a platform for the unused bodies.

As far as oil trays, opinions vary. :rolleyes: But if you can't use it for an oil tray, then why are you choosing that over a solid bottom? What do you want to accomplish?
I was thinking it has a screened bottom if nothing else, I'm in south Louisiana so the ventilation should be helpful in the summer heat. *guessing*

Start scrounging/hoarding any plywood and other useful boards you can get for free or real cheap. :D
Absolutely... Sadly I end up with mostly OSB scraps.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
I would skip the metal frame rests too. They are not necessary, and could become a nuisance later on.

I understand that you would like to go foundationless, but you may want to consider starting each hive with a hand full of frames "with foundation" to get the bees started off on the right track building the comb straight. You can always cull them out later on if you want to be strictly "natural comb".

I agree that a 5 gallon bucket will work fine for transporting all of your tools. Try it first, you can always buy the tool box later if you think it would be helpful.

Otherwise, it looks like you have most of the basics covered.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I didnt see a hive tool? And i really like the frame grips as well. Also, the frame rests, inner cover, and, excluder are all optional. I would drop the feeder and use an inverted jar or bucket. And with one hive do you really need the tool box, and when you get multiple hives do you really want to carry the tool box? The only thing i bring is a hive tool, smoker and maybe frame grips. Now that i saved you all this money you can buy another hive!

·
Premium Member
12,001 Posts
Ha, I wouldn't go without my metal frame rests! I can't tell from the image which kind you're looking at, but the plain/smooth 90 degree rests are great. Makes scraping/cleaning the frame rest easy.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I sense your enthusiasm in your post. I noticed you have on your list mini-smokers and what looks like a standard smoker. I suggest forgetting the mini-smokers, and get one standard smoker.

Congratulations on your baby (boy or girl?) who is interested in bugs. I would think it would be a lot of fun to share beekeeping with your young one.

Phil

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I do an inspection, I use a 5-frame nuc box as a frame rest. I use a cheap plastic clothes basket to hold tools, gloves, smoker, and nuc.

Phil
I assumed they were talking about the metal addons for the hive boxes that the frames sit on 24/7 not the frame PERCH. I'm only getting the perch because of going Foundationless as I don't want to knock it over and damage some comb... might be overkill but it isn't expensive.

I sense your enthusiasm in your post. I noticed you have on your list mini-smokers and what looks like a standard smoker. I suggest forgetting the mini-smokers, and get one standard smoker.

Congratulations on your baby (boy or girl?) who is interested in bugs. I would think it would be a lot of fun to share beekeeping with your young one.

Phil
Phil, the small smoker is just for the baby. You should see two smokers in that cart... on is a regular 4x7 (or whatever size it is).

The "baby" is about to turn 4. We try to keep her from learning the common fears that people have about bugs, spiders, lizards, snakes and such. She's pretty good about it... she will typically ask if it is a good bug/spider/snake before trying to play with it or passing judgment on it.

She will easily play with a roach and think it is the cutest thing. She came with us to look at a repo that we bought and it had a roach in the kitchen. A few weeks later she came with us to do some work on it and was looking around calling for her "roach friend". Took US a second to figure out what the hell she was talking about. I'm sure she won't really need a smoker, but it will make her feel "big". ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Consider getting any "J" type tool... those **** "Richards" baseboard tools are irritating for lifting heavily propolized frames...
I prefer the maxant tool, it makes lifting the first frame super easy & lifts from the outer sides away from the wax comb.

Maxant Hive Tool www_dadant_com.jpg

Welcome to beekeeping, a dangerously addictive hobby!

·
Registered
254 Posts
The above are all good ideas. I also make much of my equipment - nuc boxes are the easiest and useful for many things.
Charlie

·
Registered
887 Posts
The tool box is actually just a NUC box with a bottom and a Hinged lid with a couple of spots on the outside to store a couple of tools.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If your going to use all medium boxes and you can can lift them you may want to consider going 10 frame mediums.

There is a guy on eBay selling SBB for 20 each and they area really nice. I offered him $18 each for 5 of them without the screen because I already have a roll of it.

I use a builders work belt for all my hive accessories and it hold everything really nice and leaves my hands free. It hold the frame grip, hive tool, queen catcher clip, marking pen, queen tube and plunger, tweezers for shb, bee brush, and what ever else I need to throw in there and it was only $10

Search Decotes Nuc box plan. Great and easy concept for making a couple Nuc boxes. I use them for swarm traps.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the advice guys!

Dropping the tool box, might build my own as suggested. Deleted and added a few things as suggested.

Never done shopping though, so feel free to add. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts