Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was able to locate a package to replace my bees that left. When we brought them home yesterday, the box fell over in the car. I went to hive them this evening.First I dropped the queen cage into the package, then dumped her into the hive while trying to locate the cage. I put the cage between the bars and tried to close the hive, a bit tricky as by now there were LOTS of bees flying around. My self confidence was not helped when I looked up and saw my neighbor watching me.
After about an hour I decided to tack the strap on the cage to one of the bars so it wouldn't fall. Of course it had. I picked it up and tacked it to a bar.
Now i am worrying that the queen may have been hurt by my clumsiness and inept installation or that they will release her and leave. How long should I wait to check on things? 5 days? 10?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
She is probably fine. I have them mailed to me by the USPS, so I assume that they probably get tossed around a few times. Wait 3-4 days and see if she has been released. Remove the queen cage, push the frames tight together and center in the box. Close up for a 10-14 days and then see if she is laying.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Could have been worse.
The queen is probably fine. You will know in a few days. Probably find her laying just fine.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Like the others...I am guessing you will be ok. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about the queen. On the other hand, I hope you are holding up okay with this experience.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the encouragement. I think I am jumpy because this is replacing the bees that left a week after I hived them. My other hive is doing well but drawing lots of bur comb. I have gone into that one about every 4-5 days since hiving 4/24 (same day as the other one). I am a first year newbee. Starting off with my chickens wasn't nearly this hard!!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hang in there. I lost one of my 1st two packages when I first started. It really had me bumbed. Still don't know why but I got another and kept at it. I'm in my 5th year now with 11 hives, various nucs and a queen castle for raising my own queens. The more you keep at it the better you'll get and the more your confidence (addiction... whatever ;)) will grow.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
id rob a frame of open brood and put it in there when i took out the queen cage. dont forget to feed'em. good luck,mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts