Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always thinking up ways to utilize empty bee packages, many of my ideas do not materialize or are in the development stage for years... But this one use that is quick and easy. I make screened hive top feeders out of them.

Each one yields two feeders, you simply set the fence on the table saw at about an inch (where ever it needs to be to avoid the staples) and cut each side off. The strapping on the outside gives you 3/8th inch bee space. It gets placed on the inner cover over the center hole so the bees can come up to it and collect feed, but cannot fly out when you remove the cover to re-fill.

I feed fondant in them, but there is no reason that pollen sub or plain dry sugar can't be put on them. The outer cover fits over them without an extra box on top and if you use top insulation you can cut out the center so it fits and the insulation can stay on the hive.

I will attempt to upload pictures:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The entrance disk on the Nuc box? That comes from Mann Lake LTD. The nuc box is empty and just sitting on top of the hive.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Wow! Your bee package boxes are made from much thicker wood than the boxes I receive when I buy packages. I think mine would fall apart if I tried to cut them up like that.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah shinbone the ones I used to get were usually made out of thin strips and luan.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Are you sure those entrance disks aren't from Betterbee vs. Mann Lake?? I've only found the metal disks at Mann Lake and WISHED they had those plastics...

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
You can order singles at Brushy, but betterbee is cheaper. http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Nuc-Disc-Entrance/productinfo/676DE/

The color selection of the discs is for the beekeepers liking as the bees can't see the same light spectrum we do. They may be able to tell from the position of the dial which nuc is theirs or a larger pattern of the area as a whole, but the individual color of the discs isn't going to tell them much. Of the colors that Better Bee offers our bees will see shades of Yellow and Blue.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts