Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I based this on the robber screen on Michael Bush's website. Made with 1x2 and 1x4 pine. Screen, staples, nails. Cut with hacksaw, pocketknife and file (file was to help with the notch at the top). Width of the BB was 16 1/4". The width of the inner portion of the BB was 14 1/2". I made the 1x4s 7". The length of the bar that forms the bar at the bottom on the back of the screen was 10 1/2" (IIRC).

The fit wasn't too great, mainly because when I last moved the hive, I had some nylon screen used to cover the entrance that required extensive stapling. I was removing the staples last night, but due to the quantity of bees spilling out the front in the dark, and their anger, I decided duct tape might represent the better part of valor.

The last picture was this morning. It seemed the bees were having trouble finding their way out of the hive. I will see if they have learned anything by this evening.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is the only way in (assuming the duct tape on the side hasn't come off). :)

I could make the notch a little deeper, but not much, compromise the wood. I could make the notch LONGER.

I know that they can physically get through without a problem. Whether it is going to cause a too severe traffic jam, I will wait and see. Maybe someone w/ more experience can weigh in.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my wife tells me that the robber screen is covered with bees right now ( on the outside).

However I am wondering if it is robbers or just bees too dumb to get back in the hive.

Hopefully it is frustrated robbers. :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took a look. A lot less on the screen than when my wife had reported.

Honestly, I couldn't tell if there were robbers trying to get in or not. The outside was screen was about 25% covered with bees, including bees with pollen, which makes me think that at least those were non-robbers.

I think I will leave it on for a few more days then remove it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
What was the outcome of your screen, were you satisfied?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts