Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
found her today in the top deep of my survivor colony making her rounds!!! problem with finding her is that no matter how gentle i am putting the frames back, i always have a nagging suspicion i squished her, i am in upstate ny i think another week and im gonna put a super on dandelions should be here soon

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
If you take out and examine one of the frames next to the side of the box, and set it down against the hive in a safe spot, it is easier to remove, examine and replace the other frames. I like to use a frame rest though. Sometimes I take two out. Another box could be used for this. These frames usually do not have the queen, brood, or a lot of bees on them. Do not smoke the top too much so you might chase the queen to those end frames. I have never seen her there.>> This should relieve some of the anxiety about squishing the queen when you replace the frame after seeing her. You won't have to push the frame into that one empty slot.

You can scrape propolis from the end bars of those frames that you take out to make it easier to replace. Devise your own method/way of doing this.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Getting over the fear of smooshing the queen will take some time and experience. I can remember having that feeling, but it kind of erodes away as your hive numbers increase. Once you have enough hives you won't have time to worry about whether you smooshed the queen, lol!

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I think the real question is, "How do you remove and replace frames?"

Do you remove a frame, inspect, and then replace that frame before pulling another frame? You might roll or crush the queen if you do this.

I remove the very outside frame first. There is less chance of the queen being on the very outside frame. I place this frame off to the side somewhere. Then I slide the next frame away from the rest of the frames before I pull it. When I put frames back in the box, I put them in with plenty of room between it and the next frame, and then slide the frame over against the next frames. The very outside frame is the last frame I put back in the box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts