Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working a new hive that I started from a nuc last week. Found the queen off that bat and thought that I would go ahead and mark her. She dropped off the frame, and bounced on to the ground. I located her and had her walk on to the hive tool so I could put her back in the hive. She flew off up into the air before I could get her back into the hive.... Will she come back to the hive? Should I order a new queen?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Usually see posts like that during package installs.. If you stood by the hive looking for the queen long enough she probably used you as a land mark to know where to return to.

In spring you have a good chance of having time to replace the queen later if needed. You will have to wait and see judging by egg laying activity. If you do not have a queen in there they will also become more angry and start building queen cells from existing eggs or young larva. Wait a bit and check for those signs before you do anything.

If you happen to have ordered a new queen, put her on top of the frames while in the cage to see how the bees react. You will know if there is a queen in there because they go nuts trying to get at the new queen, and I don't mean feeding her. Fanning activity with a new queen seems to also be an indicating they are telling the others the new queen, or existing queen is here. (stick their buts up and fan with their wings).

Again, wait to see! I'm guessing very good chance she was able to return, all things considered.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
First let’s look at what to do if the queen flies. The first thing you do is stand still. She will orient on you and probably find her way back. The second thing to do is en-courage the bees to guide her back with Nasonov pheromone. To do this, take a frame out that is cov-ered in bees and shake them back into the hive. This will cause them to start fanning Nasonov. Third, if you don’t see the queen fly back in (be watching and you may) then wait ten minutes with the cover of the hive off so she can smell the Nasonov. If you do these three things the odds are very good she will find her way back.

If you didn’t do those things, there is probably a little better than 50/50 chance she will find her way back anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First let’s look at what to do if the queen flies. The first thing you do is stand still. She will orient on you and probably find her way back. The second thing to do is en-courage the bees to guide her back with Nasonov pheromone. To do this, take a frame out that is cov-ered in bees and shake them back into the hive. This will cause them to start fanning Nasonov. Third, if you don’t see the queen fly back in (be watching and you may) then wait ten minutes with the cover of the hive off so she can smell the Nasonov. If you do these three things the odds are very good she will find her way back.

If you didn’t do those things, there is probably a little better than 50/50 chance she will find her way back anyway.
I know this is a real old thread. I just had the same thing happen. I have my cover off and my fingers crossed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts