Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the problem that Im running into:

The queen gets on one frame and stays there. After the frame is filled with eggs and honey she just sits there. This is why I replace my other queen, thinking she was old.

How do I get them to move to other frames. I dont have a large number of worker bees and they pretty much fit on the one frame with the queen atleast untill the new bees start emerging)about 2 weeks from now).

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,108 Posts
The queen will only lay as much as they can manage. You don't have enough bees to manage more brood than one frame, so she won't lay more than one frame. When the population has increased enough, they will expand the brood nest, but not before. This means in a small hive like a observation hive or a two frame mating nuc, they queen will be idle much of the time. She is doing what she's supposed to, laying as much brood as they can care for and not more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi OregonSparkie,

About how many bees in your OH? I just got mine up and running (2 deep and one super frame) and all the field bees went right back to their hive (oops, I forgot to think about that part) So now I only have about 200 (yes, I counted) nurse bees and very few field bees coming in and out--like maybe 1 per hour. There are new bees hatching out now and the queens are hatched and trying to get dominance over one another.

Anyways, just wondering if this is a typical picture for a starting hive or if it is way too small. I have other hives with plenty of bees but am worried about "bugging" them too much! thanks, Michelle

p.s. I have one virgin queen who stays on the 2nd frame but seems "squished" like she got trapped there--I tilt the hive and she moves away and then goes right back there to stay again. Is that what your queen is doing?

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited July 23, 2004).]

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey mgidewall,

I never had that problem with my hive. I have (1) frame full of bees on both sides. I requeened a couple weeks ago and the brood is just now being capped. I just cant figure these girls out. I have 4 frames not being worked(but the comb is drawn out) but they are building comb below the bottom frame instead of moving up. Hopefully when the brood hatches it will force them up a frame. I thought about just feeding them alot of 2:1 sugar syrup thinking they would start putting it into the next frame up .

My bottom frame is mostly filled with honey/syrup and brood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I started my observation hive two weeks ago Friday by placing two frames of brood, eggs, and lots of bees in it. The bees now have five queen cells capped and am waiting for the first queen to emerge, which I expect will happen around Monday or Tuesday. I'm tempted to take a day off of work so I won't miss the show. It kind of reminds me of when as a child when I would wake up early and watch the test pattern on the television in anticipation of cartoons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts