Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an extractor, it was built in the 1930's it is a motorized 4 frame tangential, with swinging baskets, but the motor is not reversible. The tank is 30" across and 39"tall it weighs about 300 pounds as the metal is over 1/4" thick. Hopefully I will be able to find a radial 20 or 30 frame reel.

The other item is a 22" square by 29" tall SS tank. I am wondering if it would be better suited to be a wax melter, an uncapping tank. or some way it could do both jobs.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
This is just a guess.... But I would bet that it is a custom machine that started out from some old scrap components. I would almost doubt that it is anywhere near as old as the 1930s.
Sorry that I can't help further...

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Brac, the motor doesn't have to be reversible for the extractor to work. I have a Kelley's reversible extractor, that I've loved, until I outgrew it this year. It extracted 1600+ pounds of honey for years from 16 hives.

You insert your frames, extract about 1/2 of the first side. Stop the extractor, reverse the baskets, then extract all of side two. Stop the extractor, reverse the baskets, and finish side one. While it's running, I'm uncapping other frames, pouring honey through strainers, etc etc etc. By reversing as I've described, you minimize blowout.

Looks like you've stumbled across a "diamond in the rough." Good luck with it!
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I used to have an extractor like this with the swinging baskets. One lesson I learned is that the frames extract best when the bottom of the frame leads the revolutions. By swinging the baskets, the top will become the leading edge. My extractor was reversable so I would swing the frames, then reverse the rotation.

If this extractor doesn't reverse, you'll have better luck taking the frames out and reversing them so the bottom of the frame leads and top bar follows. The slant of the cells on the comb is subtle, and it makes a difference which way you spin them.

And Steve is correct. Extract part of the first side, rotate, spin out the second side, then rotate to finish the first side. And you don't have to spin real fast with this large tank. The smaller tanks on the newer plastic extractors is too small. Enjoy this large size as it will make your extraction easier.

Grant
Jackson, MO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts