Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
25lbs bags are now hard to find around here and it only does 4 gallons. So been buying the 10lbs version. Funny cause the sugar cane fields about 70 miles from here. Dominoes sugar a popular one caught fire from a hurricane and guess sugar may be short with the covid19 and everything going on.
According to Google maps there is a Sam's in Covington. I'm located in Victoria, TX and our Sam's has 25# & 50# bags of sugar (most of the time)

Not to mention I'm in the south with 80 to 90 degree temps outside.
To address the hot water issue. Maybe painting a bucket or 30 gal. plastic drum black & setting it out in the sun. Not sure what temp the water would reach in mid-afternoon, but here at my house it would be hotter than I'd care to stick my hand if very long. If drum were elevated a couple of feet off the ground you could have a valve at the bottom of it and drain the hot water into your mixing bucket, etc.

Would limit your window of time for mixing and be dependent on the sunshine, but would provide a volume of hot water with limited cost and would allow you to monitor from a hammock while searching eyelids for leaks.

My thoughts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Y'all I have some numbers using the 1500 watt bucket immersion heater here goes:
Ambient temperature 85 degrees F.
Sugar temp 78 degrees.
Start temp water 120 degrees. 5 gallons from tankless water heater outside on hose.
10 minutes 144 degrees.
20 minutes 160 degrees.
30 minutes 170 degrees. Immersion heater started throttling
35 minutes 175 degrees. Don't think temp would increase much more immersion heater auto off long throttle.
Dump water between two buckets.
Add one 10 lb. bag sugar each mix 30 seconds each immediately dissolved.
Add second 10 lb. sugar mix 30 seconds immediately dissolved.
Add third 10 lb. bag sugar sat on top and needed more mixing about 1 minute and let sit a minute and mix 1 minute more on each bucket thoroughly dissolved.
Temp of sugar syrup 116 degrees F. when finished.
About 5 minutes or so per bucket total mixing time 10 gallons syrup 50 minutes with about 15 minutes work.
Your times may vary everything rounded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Here's the thing 50 minutes total time 10 gallons syrup. About 15 minutes actual work so while its heating you can do other things like play a banjo or fiddle or something no need to keep an eye on it..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use a turkey fryer and propane when I have to mix 2:1. One can be heating and I can be feeding the other right in the bee yard

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I bought a spare bottling tank. Been using it for surup making,wax melting and cleaning frames.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts