Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kaman talks about this hive tool a lot. So I decided one day on a whim to just try it, after all, it is less expensive than the other j-hook tools that I've been buying.

Now I'm a fan of j-hook hive tools, but this one combines the best of both worlds. It's my new favorite hive tool, and I think I may get another, because I can never remember where I set my hive tool down at. The j-hook is longer, but the best part is that instead of having a notch cross section to use as a fulcrum like the other j-hook tools, this has the full face area of the 90 degree scraper. The little notch fulcrum will actually punch through a plastic frame tab. The longer j-hook lifts the frame higher so its easier to get a grip on it. Also this profile is a lot easier to get between boxes. And instead of carrying two different style hive tools, I can carry just the one. Thanks for the tip Kaman.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think the tool works a lot better when the HOOK is set at a 45 degree instead at 90 degrees -- I have the 45 degree

·
Registered
955 Posts
This design was developed by Kent Williams in KY in concert with Walter Kelly.
https://www.kelleybees.com/kw-hive-tool.html
As you may note,this is not a cheap
chinese import but a quality tool.
Cheap steel will bend and you will end up gouging your wooden ware for the life of the tool.
For the same reason,my J hook hive tool comes from Maxant,the original designers and made in the US.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
This design was developed by Kent Williams in KY in concert with Walter Kelly.
https://www.kelleybees.com/kw-hive-tool.html
As you may note,this is not a cheap
chinese import but a quality tool.
Cheap steel will bend and you will end up gouging your wooden ware for the life of the tool.
For the same reason,my J hook hive tool comes from Maxant,the original designers and made in the US.
Where in the U.S. is this made?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Where in the U.S. is this made?
To be honest I don't know.
I have attended almost every EAS meeting over the last 20 yrs and I would always stop at the Walter Kelly booth in the vendors area to chat with Earl.I swear he remembered every customer he ever dealt with.He told me the story behind the(at the time) new tool and told me it was made in house.Kelly has gone through many owners in my limited beekeeping experience and I really don't know if Mann Lake has outsourced the manufacturing of the Kelly products.
If you compare the pictures on the Kelly and Amazon web pages you will see definite differences between the 2 tools.The Kelly has a small hole near the scraper end(can't imagine why) and has a gentle angle to the pry end.
The Kinglake has a more blunt wedge shaped pry end which would be necessary if softer steel was used.

And I agree 100% with Litsinger's description of Kent and anyone who has met him would agree.

·
Registered
263 Posts
NORTH EASTERN INDIANA BEEKEEPERS ---had KENT for a speaker last year if you want a speaker that is honest and will answer your ??? he is your speaker --everyone said U were one of our best speaker --everyone came away with some good info ----THANK U --DOUG CHEEK --VP

·
Registered
71 Posts
NORTH EASTERN INDIANA BEEKEEPERS ---had KENT for a speaker last year if you want a speaker that is honest and will answer your ??? he is your speaker --everyone said U were one of our best speaker --everyone came away with some good info ----THANK U --DOUG CHEEK --VP
Off topic??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts