Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:)Ok here we go put my 2 packages in fri and yea I was scared.
I messed up second hive it had the queen cage sitting on frames put empty hive body on next, then plastic bag full with sugar water.No newspaper.waited til Wed to see if the queen was out.well the top was covered, it had almost 7 pounds of comb hanging from lid.
the comb was all soft and warm. I tilted the cover and I think I killed her. Took the combs off the inner cover put them in a bowl. The honey just ran out.Most of the bees were on the cover . Next day nothing opened it up 3 bees. I think I killed the queen scared newbies and my girls left or did they move into the other hive?
# 1 is a flurry of activity but I m not going to mess with it yet.I feel like a bad beekeeper.The girls didnt even sting me yet. oh the comb honey was too tasty . I am so glad I bought 2 hives an packages. Now all chime in, I m a big boy you can say it dumb ass lol Jeff:)

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
First of all, these are only bugs, don't be afraid of them. Secondly, what on earth are you going to use newspaper for on a package installation? Thirdly, did you place frames of foundation or drawn comb in the bottom box along with the queen cage with candy plug pulled? You may need to review the procedures for installing packages before you try this again or get some help from a local beek.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Are all the frames in hive #2? 7Lb wax seems to be a lot to be able to build on a lid if all frames are in. If not you will probably find the same problem - but worse if you wait.
All frames need to go back into the hives.
Others will probably have better ideas on how to take care of the situation.
My ideas,
If the hive is without frames then I would try opening it soon but in early morning so it will be as firm as possible. Get the bees in with the frames and - personally I would just melt the wax.

... It may be possible they went to hive #2. I think when we did our 2 packs a number ended up in the other hive (hive #1 seemed to lose bees and hive #2 seemed to get some lol)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bee nice I put an empty Hive body so I could put a feeder in they built comb on the inner cover

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would not panic. Just make sure the frames are tight. I thought I messed up my install last year but they turned out alright. After a few days with frames and feed check for the queen or eggs. My bet is that they will recover.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Did you set the feeder on top of the inner cover, or was the feeder sitting on the frams with the inner cover above the feeder?

Blueline

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
sounds like he had a zip top feeder, but instead of a spacer ofer it he put a hive body. That would be fine late fall, but no good now. If you want to feed with a bag you need a spacer of about 1 1/2", not a hive body. Just rembember they can always do different than the book says. Bees don't read!

Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brac you are right on thats what i did took out the comb they left
second hive is banging but the bees were small this morning now all big its really windy today that make a difference
so cool to watch
:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Yep! Those workers grow fast during the day, especially a nice warm spring day. Why, I bet they double in size in 24 hours. :eek:

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Did you set the feeder on top of the inner cover, or was the feeder sitting on the frams with the inner cover above the feeder?

This is a good reason to STOP telling INEXPERIENCED people to cover a feeder with an empty hive body. Use the Boardman feeders at the entrance if they insist on using a Boardman....if they are going to use a can or jar, tell them to sit it on the inner cover hole without any lid...or just do it right and use a hive top feeder or a division board feeder.

You can get a division board feeder for a few bucks....it's cheaper than the empty box folks are using to cover the jar on the frames.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
All that needs to be remembered is that anything larger than a bee space will get comb. The bees will use that comb and make it as large as possible.

There are designs on this site for feeders that sit on top of the inner cover. We kind of shrunk it down to fit a single gallon jar and works great. Almost no dead bees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts