Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This is my low budget honey house. Now that I have done it I will likely do the same next year with minor modifications. It stays super clean and seems like the perfect size right now. I can easily add running water and a drain if need be. For my one person operation I can't imagine needing more space and certainly not a dedicated purpose built room.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice !! I do think people worry too much about the "bee proof" part. I extract in a farm building with large sliding doors. In places you can put your hand between the doors. I have never had a bee come inside. I did make the mistake of putting some completed frames outside and the place was a huge swarm by the time we finished. Still, none came inside.

Ed

·
Registered
49 Posts
Second link works, what extractor is that in there? did you add the motor or is that a factory setup?

Challenger.... would you please remove the link above in your initial post ASAP? I would appreciate it.
I think that link is to his youtube account home page but as you are logged in on your computer it takes you to yours. I know if I click on it I get mine.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I assume the link is working yes?
The extractor is a maxant 20 frame. The motor is the one they sell with it.
It's probably true that I am too concerned about bees inside. I just know that if they get into this thing it will be a PIA to get them out.
This room is nothing earth shattering. I just thought it might be of interest to someone such as myself that had a problem finding a clean place to spin the honey. Not only clean but easy to clean as well.
Mr. Beeman-what's up with the huge concern about the link. It is now removed but why the, "remove it ASAP? What's your problem Mr. Beeman? Do incorrect links jack up your computer? Oh, I see your post was deleted. Nevermind.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Nice !! I do think people worry too much about the "bee proof" part. I extract in a farm building with large sliding doors. In places you can put your hand between the doors. I have never had a bee come inside. I did make the mistake of putting some completed frames outside and the place was a huge swarm by the time we finished. Still, none came inside.

Ed
Well maybe your bees aren't as determined as mine. Yesterday I left a man door on our garage open about 3" for an hour while I was in the house. When I went back to start extracting again there were 100+ bees in the garage and another 100 or so looking in the crack where the door was open. We have 30 hives in the back yard, so there isn't a lack of bees around though.

At my mother-in-law's we used to extract in their garage. The garage door didn't close tight at the top and we would have a steady stream of bees coming in all day. My m-i-l and wife would carry each one back out and let them go :)rolleyes:) as they came in though. It was probably a 1" gap.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice video, except I have to turn my TV on it's side to watch it in portrait mode. Almost fell over but got my wife and son to hold it up while I watched :)

Wow! You are right. I honestly didn't notice the lame visual size of the video. I took the video using my phone and I cannot ever seem to orient the image properly. I am going to look into changing it but I really doubt that I can. It took me over an hour to do the captioning. I had never done it before and it is cumbersome..
That is a poor video job by me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well maybe your bees aren't as determined as mine. Yesterday I left a man door on our garage open about 3" for an hour while I was in the house. When I went back to start extracting again there were 100+ bees in the garage and another 100 or so looking in the crack where the door was open. We have 30 hives in the back yard, so there isn't a lack of bees around though.

At my mother-in-law's we used to extract in their garage. The garage door didn't close tight at the top and we would have a steady stream of bees coming in all day. My m-i-l and wife would carry each one back out and let them go :)rolleyes:) as they came in though. It was probably a 1" gap.

It is really strange that our experiences are so different. My hives are about 100 yards from the barn. We get wasps and carpenter bees all the time, but no honeybees during extraction! That day we put the frames outside, there were thousands of bees circling and it was sort of scary. Won't do that again.

Ed

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Maybe you have something blooming to keep them occupied. Two to three weeks ago I wouldn't have had much of a problem either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts