Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an apartment. (Yesterday 6/07) Bees could have been there more that 1 year as there was no dark comb. But there must have been 100,000 bees. I know I must have vacuumed up over 40,000 the first day. For a long time I was sucking up around 3-4 bees every second at the entrance. Lord only know how many was sucked up on the comb itself. I had to add a 2nd high box with frames during the removal because there was so many bees in the first box on the beevac.

I cutout 11 or 12 mediuim frames of eggs, larva, brood (capped) with some honey and pollen. I could have done more cutout frames but I ran out of frames and I didn't want to save the drone brood. Ended up taking home about 1 and 1/4 5-gallon buckets of capped honey/bees/little brood, another 5 gallon bucket over 1/2 full of uncapped honey/nectar/drone brood/larva/pollen.

Went back today (6/08) to finish up removing the bees. Had all of the comb but too many bees. I had to have sucked up at least another 20,000 today. From the entrance, inside the closet, and up in the ceiling. I am sure that the cluster that I vacuumed up in the ceiling was over 5 pounds. That didn't include all of the other bees in the ceiling that were not in the cluster. So if the cluster was 6 pounds then the cluster was at least 18,000 bees by itself.

Hived the first days work this morning and todays work this evening. I can honestly say that there is not 1 square inch of frames or sides in this hived colony that is not covered with bees. That's 2 highs, 2 mediums, and another high. Bees were also all around the outside of the hive too.

Anyway, here is a link to the pics.....

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/tngamecockfan/Grande View Apartments/?albumview=slideshow

·
Registered
671 Posts
Way to go Ken!
Hope they make you a great hive of bees!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In several places the honeycomb was probably close to 3 inches thick. Beautiful white comb with light gold honey.

·
Registered
507 Posts
What an AWESOME cutout. Congratulations. Man, what a find! Glad you could save all that comb for frames and then all the other combs for honey and nectar. Great Job!

I've done four cutouts now and wish I could get more. I just don't have the equipment or the time. I'm going to try and get some more here in a little bit.

Congratulations again Ken, way to go!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Did you suspect there were that many bees in the wall? From the pics of the outside, it just looks like a small hive. I've saw the very same thing in my big cutout...a few bees stacked up around the entrance. Take the first board off, the second, the third, etc. and then you see everything.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Thank you for the photos.
The photos show how the bees construct their combs.
Photos like these are good reminders of how to manage our bees with brood in the center, honey on the outside, empty or new comb on the outside, honey stored above the brood, cavity nesting, 8 frame or 10 frame hives, and wavy for heat conservation ( I think so)
Ernie

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Ok USC...while i am extremely jealous of you, we need to talk cameras.....:lookout:......LOL. Nice, very very nice...

·
Registered
180 Posts
nice! I have a huge one that i'm trying to work my way over to. bee careful working multifamily cutouts. Things can go south with tenants and mgt, and you end up with insurance claims and/or litigation. don't ask how i know. Especially in AHB states. oi.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts