Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

321 - 340 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
what a difference the locale makes, Apple trees in bloom here, been a very wet spring, I am hoping for a good Hay crop which is the big nectar flow from here, starting in 3-4 weeks. I do not think we will have a dearth this year in northern Mich.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
We are alive and well here... been very busy with trying to build a business. Bought a band saw mill and have been learning to use it. Long days of logging in the heat and then sawing and stacking the lumber... Makes one tired and ready for rest. Bees are fairing well. Keeper needs a good warm day to take a look... We are looking forward to a new year!

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Cool on the saw mill. Mine is home made but believe me when I say that I understand the effort of processing trees to boards.
Cheers
gww

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #325
A Happy and prosperous New Year to you and yours Russ.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
It's time to start thinking about grafting. I can see the buds swelling on the red maples

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
It's time to start thinking about grafting. I can see the buds swelling on the red maples
TPope:

Same here. I have heard scattered reports from across Kentucky of some Red Maples blooming already in protected locations.

Here the Slippery Elm buds are swelling too... and while I've not observed any deadnettle or henbit blooming yet, the plants are starting to show steady growth.

Looking at the extended forecast, it looks like they are predicting milder than average temperatures from now till the end of March for the Southeast so we might have an early and tumultuous start to Spring.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Remarked to my daughter that ground hog day was about 4 weeks away... I will stock the pollen sub feeders. May put a little sugar syrup into a hive top feeder... Definitely will be taking note of sources of resources for making up my queen starter/builder. I started grafting the first week of March last year. I intend to start earlier this year to determine if I can get queens bred earlier in my area. I do have an advantage this year. Overwintered queens in nucs that I can sell early.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I intend to start earlier this year to determine if I can get queens bred earlier in my area. I do have an advantage this year. Overwintered queens in nucs that I can sell early.
Thank you, TPope. I'll look forward to hearing how this turns out for you- this continued mild weather we are having in the Southeast will no doubt continue moving things along.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #331
Bees have been flying and foraging on what they can find. Had decent weather some part of the last 5 days. Apparently pollen is in short supply right now. They are using my pollen sub heavily. I put some sugar water in an open feeder. It was not as attractive as the pollen sub.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
This what I am seeing as well. Bees have plenty of capped carbs in the hive and are not into the syrup feeders but are foraging pollen, or pollen sub, like crazy.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #334
Noticed that the number of bees working the last bit of the Mahonia was down. Decided to put out some sugar water Saturday. The bees finally found it today when the red maples are not yielding much for the bees to forage. The maples appear to have started 1 Feb or a little earlier. It has begun!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
Wow have my bees been slow rolling it with the rain and cool weather.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
Same here. It seems like a crawl compared to last year
I appreciate the feedback. The season will soon accelerate ya know and I'll be scrambling.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Found that a nuc that survived the winter in good shape was queenless. Double eggs in some cells. Trying to raise a queen. I should just shake em out but must be getting soft and gave a frame of eggs and larvae.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
149 Posts
Wow, just wow. That little sucker was packed with bees! Your were spot on advising me to transfer them today. Feel privileged to be your only spring nuc customer this year.

Got it home, put it in the center of the hive stand and opened it up. We sat and watched them for at least 15 minutes as they orientated. Was still a bit cool so we ran a few close errands... They were already bringing in pollen when we went down to move them to a 10 frame deep. Very gentle, could probable have worked without a veil. Kept taking my right glove off to take pictures. Wife figured out real quick she had too many clothes on under her vented suit.

Saw no SHB while transferring the frames. Did find two when I shook the few remaining bees out of the nuc. Dispatched them with a screw driver since stupid me left my hive tools at the house. All of them:(

Very happy and excited to have BEES!

Thank you,

William & Patrice

321 - 340 of 365 Posts