Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is currently 8:00 PM, 65 degrees F, and drizzly. It's been raining most of the day.

I looked out across the yard at the hives, and zooming in with the camcorder, I can see several hundred bees hanging out of the front of one hive, and several dozen out of the other one. There are bees lined up all along the crack between the migratory top and the upper brood box (I have the lids propped open about 3/8" on one end with twigs to alleviate the 90 degree weather we had earlier in the week).

Is this normal? Are the girls just taking a potty break after being cooped up all day? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm new to this.

·
Registered
744 Posts
They were having a memorial day picnic! ;)
I think it happens when its hot or humid. My first hive was doing the same thing last year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sure. I expect it when it's hot out, but it's just the opposite... cool, breezy, and a day when I would expect the girls to be staying indoors and snuggling to keep warm.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Again this morning bees were covering the front of the hive - the entire front of the lower brood box was covered. Once the rain started again they all went back inside. It's another cool rainy day today, and it's been a lot warmer out on other days with no visible beard on the hive - which is why I'm confused.

I should *think* that they have plenty of room, considering they were a single deep body hive when we got them 6 weeks ago. We added a second hive body about one month ago, and are waiting for Mr. Seets to send us a couple of boxes before we add honey supers.

Both hives have screened bottom boards, and the lids are cracked open, so I would suspect too much ventilation on a day like today rather than not enough.

It's just one of those things that from the little I've learned so far that I would expect on a really hot day, but not a cool rainy one. In fact, they were bearding out on hotter days, which is why I cracked the lid for the summer. It's not adding up for me, and I'm new enough at this that I panic at things that are probably insignificant. The problem is that I've yet to learn what is or isn't insignificant.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Could it be the field bees are just warming up for a hard days work on the front of the hive since you say it's cool?Kinda like a reptile in the morning sun.Then later on they have taken flight or just gone back inside the hive?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it starts raining again they all put away the party hats and head back indoors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts