Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. About a week ago I opened my hives to add fondant, to much of my delight hive after hive was alive and appeared to have good many bees in them. This is a major success for me as I have never had so many hives making it into Feb. I would like to thank everyone on this forum who took the time to described and advocate series treatment with OAV, as I attribute this success to this method of treatment.
However, this is only February and we have sometimes to go to spring, what should I do to insure survival of my hives. Should I add pollen patty? Should I do another series of OAV as soon as it warms up into the 40s?
thanks
DP

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
well done mate!
I will start OAV treatments in mid march when its over 40 each day
-i have already put pollen patties on my hives ( yesterday actually)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Hey Deepster. Congrats on your success so far. For future reference, if you do just one treatment of OAV during the broodless period during winter, your bees would be virtually mite free right now and you wouldn't have to worry about your mite counts and doing treatments in the spring. I am assuming that you do have a brief broodless period in your location.
As for adding pollen, assuming you don't mean winter patties,
what is your goal? Are they low on pollen? Do you want to ramp up brood production? Keep in mind that once you start adding it,you have to keep adding it until there is a steady supply of natural pollen and good weather for them to collect it. Also keep in mind that brood production will increase and if it gets too high too fast ,you run the risk of chilled brood and then swarming earlier than normal.
Generally speaking,most will start adding pollen 6 weeks before a steady supply of natural pollen and flying weather. J

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FiveJ & enjambres

Yes, I miss understood the brood less period for my area, I thought it would be in Feb but I was informed by enjambres that it is middle of January. I will be on top of it next year!

I want to get bee production going as soon as possible to set up nuks for next year, like to increase my hives if I can, also I am armed with 10 newly built Snelgrove boards to prevent swarming.

Is this a good time to start feeding pollen patties without creating chilled brood problem, how much? is good to start with?

Really appreciate everyone's help
DP

·
Registered
796 Posts
Funny i was just thinking of posting a thread like this. Only thing i have on my hives in winter patties. Should i start giving them pollen patties? My location is upstate NY about 45 min. west of Albany.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Sickdog5, I do like fivej and start broodbuilder style patties six weeks before maples. That puts it right around the first of Jan. for me here. We had enough flying days that only the nucs got patties this year, I open fed the production hives pollen sub powder all winter. Eight weeks later, all the production hives are doing real well, a few are jammed with bees, and the nucs are all off to a good start. I suspect if you have not switched to broodbuilder patties yet, you are getting behind. When is your first natural pollen? Count back six weeks from then and that is your start date for next year.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This week here in CT night temps are going to be around 15 deg. Could the Bees keep the broad surviving in such low temps?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts