Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I happened to be outside this morning by the hive and suddenly they swarmed. pretty cool sight to see for the first time. The deep is very full but they will not move into the upper medium. its been on almost a month now and when i pulled it to check only a handful of bees were in it. Since i just have a top bar i could easily cut a frame down to fit the medium. Should i move one or more up to the medium. Which ones ? The swarm is in the neighbors tree pretty high up. its been there all day. i have the original box i started with close by. maybe they will move in.

http://youtu.be/egr18zE1heU

gene

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i could switch the boxes forcing them to go through the empty box. currently there are still to many bees in the deep at least in my opinion.
this means a virgin queen left not the current laying queen? this is the same hive that almost died a few months back. they recovered with a vengeance. they have been really nasty the last couple times i opened them up i guess now i know why.

·
Super Moderator
11,151 Posts
Normally the first swarm from the hive will have the old mated queen. If there are afterswarms, those would be headed by her daughters, and they may be virgins.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
There have been several swarms reported in the San Fransisco bay area in the last week or so. Early this year!
Our fruit trees are just starting to bloom.
If you move a brood frame up it would help get them started.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would think that your bees would be able to make another queen, if they have the correct age larvae. Inspect it in a week or so and you will know for sure if you have a laying queen. If you have eggs you have a queen that is laying eggs. You should also see if they have started making queen cells from the other larvae, if there was no queen at the time of the swarm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
later today if i have time i plan on moving a frame of brood up to the medium. i will have to cut the bottom off since it is a deep but it's frameless so it will be easy enough. i might have prevented it if ( i wasn't a newbie ) i had known they need help sometimes. i assumed they would just move up and use the open frames.

gene

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stay out of that hive for 3 weeks. The bees now what they are doing.
well i came home and the bees left the tree. :( I'm a little sad they didn't move into the old box. that was where she originally started.i searched the neighborhood but i didn't see them. i guess God had other plans. i will leave them alone, I'm just afraid they will swarm again if I don't convince them to use the empty medium. the deep is completely full and still jammed with bees. in 3 weeks if they still haven't used it does it matter which frame i use. i figured i would move 2 up and put in 2 empty's.

gene

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
As long as you're careful, you can go in & move a frame. Just don't want to cause too many disturbances until the new queen is laying.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They swarmed this past Tuesday again. About the size of a football. I had to go in and look. I pulled off the top medium since there were no bees in it at all and they no longer need the space. I only looked at 3 frames and I saw 6 queen cells. 4 were empty and 2 were still sealed. There could be more. They are still bringing in pollen and the first frame had capped honey. I guess I'll trust that they know what to do.

Gene

1 - 16 of 16 Posts