Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was out mowing grass and i took notice that Hive #1 had alot of action going on. I installed the new package april 24th and the queen was checked may 4th and she was released. I had seen eggs and larva may 14th and i was predicting may 28th but i guess that queen was in a big hurry..hahaha Now my question is: On may 14th the inspection i done showed 5 frames filled out of 10....Since i have more bees in one deep hive body would it be wise to add another deep hive body now????????? Tomorrow i have to spend the night at the hospital for some tests so if its not tonight it wont be done until wed afternoon.....Thanks for all the help in the past!!!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
70-80% is what you are looking for b4 adding another box. That ensures they are strong enough to protect what you have given them....rule of thumb anyway!

·
Registered
290 Posts
At my beginner beek class we went out to the Virginia Tech apiaries, and I was lucky enough to watch a baby bee emerge. It was really something. Half a dozen newbie beeks, all over age 40, thoroughly enchanted by a tiny bug.
:applause:

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Devdog108 i am aware of the 70-80% rule but i assumed that it would of took place after i added the 2nd deep....hahaha So your saying that they should have enough room in just one deep if its not 80% full???? I guess i need to go open it up cause they been eatting more this week then ever and they just might have 80% full by now!...i have the frames and box ready...Feels like im a new dad and i have to run to the store to buy diapers....hahaha.. :lpf:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
yeah, when they hit 7 or 8 of 10 frames fully drawn, go ahead and add another, till then, I'd wait. Less they have to protect.if they won't draw frames 1 and 10, switch them out with another frame that is so they can draw it too. Just helps them and is a general rule of thumb!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah they threw me off guard, i had my game plan going for may 28th, thats when i was gonna inspect hive#1. I assumed that they should be within 70-80% and i was gonna add the 2nd deep but after seeing new borns doing their test flights my mind went blank and then i thought ooooh heck i hope they have enough room in there...hahaha
I have a hive#2 thats only one week behind and its running identical to this one so i say around may 28-30th i should have new borns in Hive#2!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me these ones here look just like the ones i installed in the hive size wise except for there is ALOT more flying around now...hahaha

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Are new bees smaller? Are they the smaller bees i see on the front porch?
Yes and no. Depends on the drones the queens mated with. I have seen smaller bees coming from smaller cells. Mixture of both i guess....

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Ken, basically to answer your question, once a bee emerges from the cell, that is the size it is. Except for the queen, and her abdomen extends, gets larger, as she's fertilized and starts laying eggs.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And just as long as they are healthy and survive through the winter thats pretty much all i could ask for! I became a beekeeper to help the population, hopefully i will succeed! So far im not doing that bad, reading all them beekeeping books might be paying off now...:D

·
Registered
738 Posts
When you say 7or8 frames drawn out in a 10 frame box, Do you mean the frame is filled with comb.Thank you for the other answers.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: I just got done opening up hive#1 and there is roughly 5 frames fully drawn- 2 frames half drawn- 1 frame alil bit on one side in the corner and the 2 frames on the outside of course was not touched! Im looking at 60-65% drawn so far. So i chose to wait on the second box and i moved frame#1 to #3 and frame#10 to #8 so they would start drawing on them outter frames. I had the 2nd deep frames ready, the box all ready to go. I was gonna add the 2nd deep but my mind just said wait! So what do you think wait about 10 days and then add the 2nd deep box????

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
yeah, you are at about 60%. Just watch them and its ok to open them to look

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured it would be ok for now...The biggest thing is that i have to go to the hospital tomorrow and spend the night and not be back the next day. From inspecting tonight i know that i can go and be back without having to worry. I added a few more brood patties while i was out there & filled up the feed jars. I had one bee not want to get off the new frames as i was leaving with them....hahaha The first deeps i used Duragilt and i wasnt to happy with the results, i actually would of been adding the 2nd deep tonight if it wasnt for the double comb mess a few weeks ago. It happened in both hives! This time i got the black foundation from Walter Kelleys that is mainly plastic dipped in wax but it seems alot more durable so i hope they like it when that time comes, i do know that one bee liked it for sure...hahaha

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Why are you using brood patties? I'd get them off the hive IMHO. Hive beetles love those things. There is plenty of forage for them right now.....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is that right???...This is the very first time i have ever heard that...I been told by several to make sure to feed the brood patties..and one of them works a ky state bee inspector...hahaha

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Yeah, no reason to right now. I imagine you are in blackberry flow amongst other things. They are doing what they do best...lettem rock and roll.....I have never, ever fed mine anything but sugar water...but thats just me. They have done GREAT!!!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yeah right now i also took notice of the white clover bloom...There is a 5 acre field about 50 ft in front of my 3 hives and its PACKED in white clover! I took a few pics with my phone camera but i still have not figured out how to attach a photo from my computer to on here....I have no problem emailing photos, but for some reason they just dont work on here...I took notice most of the photos on here are from photobucket. I have no idea why they have to be linked!...I have a TBH that has an Observation window and there is 11 bars drawn with comb, i took a picture of it today...I picked up a swarm may 8th and installed them in the TBH..The last 3 combs they drawn are full of honey and it looks really nice!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts