Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, All! I have been trying to feed my nuc hives with honey syrup using a small jar for
quite awhile. Poking holes on the lid will not work for me. Many times the syrup either ended up
on the ground or sticking to the bees inside the hive.
So I thought to make a simple version of what might work with an inside hive
hanging jar feeder. The material list are: A hanger wire, quart jar, duct tapes, hanging strings,
plastic sand which bag cut in half, rubber band, mop wicks, and drinking straw.

Here are the pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Simple ...rather simply wow.. i hope this works out great with all the thought process you put into this.... I am so glad my bees are just "dumb" enough to just take it the old fashion easy way..

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Simple? I don't see it. If you had syrup actually dripping out of the lid of your jar inverted over a hole in your cover you made the holes too large. The best holes are made by hammering the point, just the point, of a nail thru a jar lid, say a 5 lb jar lid. And you don't need a lot of holes. Ten is too many. Six or 8 is enough. Do this from the inside of the lid and the outside will look sort of like a cheese grater. Surface tension will keep the syrup in the jar and the bees will suck it out.

Much more simple than what it appears you have made. And you don't have to hang it inside your hive. It's on top where you can see it and see when it needs filling. Or you can get a stand and install it in the entrance of your hive.

I applaud your ingenuity, but, simple I don't see. Sorry. Blunt is my middle name.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your support!
It is rather simple and enjoying for me. And a good learning experience too.
The old fashion way does not work for my small nucs setup. For a big hive it does to clean up the
spilled syrup fast.
These feeders are working perfectly now. No spill or what so ever.
All the girls are so fat now that they're gettin all lazy. The big fat queens are laying like crazy with the extra
feed during this dearth. So far so good! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts