Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On tuesday, I will be picking up my first 2 hives from a bee keeper who split his hives off a month or so ago... They have brood, honey, etc... ie they're producing...

on Wednesday, I will be getting two packages from another keeper. I plan on taking brood from the first two and adding it with the package bees in two new hives..

i planned on feeding the 1:1 ratio, but how long do you do this? till you see capped honey in the new comb, or just all summer? In texas, it's around 90 ish... so the wildflowers are drying up... how do you tell if you need to start feeding again ?

d

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Most package suppliers recommend keeping the feed on for a complete month. If there is natural forage available for them they will prefer that over syrup. You can remove it whenever they stop taking it. Some say to keep the feed on to build comb with syrup instead of nectar, keeping it for honey making. Especially if you are in a dearth.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
In my opinion, you're doing a good thing. Basically, you're splitting the split to boost the packages. Your robbing Peter to pay Paul, but in the end both will benefit.

If this was done in my area of SE Missouri, given this time of year, the likelihood of harvesting any honey is about zero.

But what you're doing (I presume) isn't designed to create surplus honey but build the colonies for next year.

So I would feed and keep feed on them through the dearth. Let the colonies build up to a good over-wintering strength and come at it like gang-busters next spring.

Grant
Jackson, MO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts