Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got into this unexpectedly and hope to get ready to add a few more colony's before spring.
Got a few questions regarding a colony I removed from a structure in Lone Pine California and moved them to a remote location. I returned to find everything strune all over the place, smashed frames upside down boxes all the comb gone. Looks to me a bear had got at this one and inside one of the upsideded down boxes there were a good lot of bees in a corner without any frames or comb. I right sided the box and put a few of the remaining frames in with fresh foundation put the lid on and am hoping they recover. Should I feed them since it is September and there is really nothing for them to eat as it gets cooler and winter approaching?

·
Registered
730 Posts
A "good number of bees" does not give us an idea of how many. A couple of hundred, or a couple thousand? Did you see a queen? Will the bear be back? (they usually are)

It does not sound good. My advise is to let them go as a learning experience. Read up this Winter. Try to find someone coming out of the almonds in the Spring that will sell you some hives at a good price.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, they were very aggressive so I did not want to hang around long, it's hard to say how many but I would estimate 1/2 of the original amount I collected from the wall which was huge and I did not get them all I would estimate 80,000 bees originally, down to 40,000 or 30,000 after the bear attack, they were all congregated so I'm thinking the queen might be there, however I was never sure i got the queen in the first place.
Bear might be back but there would be nothing left for them, I'm hoping to go back next week and move them possibly feed them, and check for a queen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, Welcome, we have a black bear 3 miles away, and I hope he stays there. I put 3 strains of electric fence around my hives, I really don't think this will stop it, but gives me a little peace of mind. Good Luck, Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts