Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
Have you ever looked at a colony in the tree? At the detritus at the bottom of the colony? It's full of wax moth larvae, ants, roaches, debris beetles... as long as they aren't in the hive I wouldn't worry about them.

·
Registered
638 Posts
That looks like SHB larva. Devil's Spawn.
yes you are right. Everyone speaks of the Varrora Mite but so far....SHB has been my bane.
If they are able to hatch out, you need to do something REAL quick. That larva will slime up your frames, kill brood, and drive off the bees from the hive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I have see them scurrying across the frames in their beetle forms. It is the SHB for sure. I got these ladies and gents as a package from Georgia. I am assuming they ( SHB ) hitched a ride. I have heard that up here in New York the winter will knock them down and hopefully out.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I see the bees go after SHBs all the time but I've never actually seen a SHB killed. Can the bees actualy kill the beetles on a regular basis?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Michael. I will look into that. I have the screened bottom board because that's what I was given with my starter package.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts