Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the call yesterday about noon. The swarm was basketball size, about 12' up in a redbud tree. Luckily I had built the water jug on a pole last week. The homeowner told me that the bees had been there for about 2 days. I asked if he had tried to poison them and he hadn't, so I get the equipment set up, put on my veil (thank God) and I'm Ready to go. The water jug worked great, I dumped 80% of the swarm into the box and then started to put on the lid. At that moment I was ATTACKED by several huundred bees, 30 to 40 stings on my hands and arms, and it is all I can do to see because of all of the bees covering the veil. I backed away from the box and the bees stayed right with me for the first 50' or so and then started to back off. After removing as many stingers as possible, I went back to the truck and put on the suit and gloves, then jumped back into the fight. Finally got most of the swarm into the box, closed it up and got everything put away. I talked to the homeowner again ( he got a few stings too), and now he tells me that earlier, he had put a burning oily rag on a long stick and tried to "smoke them out", when that didn't work he tried spraying them with a hose, and then threw a soccer ball at them several times.:eek: No wonder they were a little testy. Any way their mine now, and thanks for all of the great advice on this forum that helped with the capture.

http://s818.photobucket.com/albums/zz110/shiatt74/?action=view&current=bees022.jpg&newest=1

Blueline

·
Registered
113 Posts
atta way to hang in there and show them who'se boss!

congrats on the new hive....

bet you wish he had mention all the stuff he had done to the bees before you decided to go in unprotected!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sorry to hear you took a few hits, hopefully your gear did it's job and stopped most of those from hitting their mark. But threw a soccerball at them? Sprayed them with water? He got what he deserved by getting stung. Heck, at only 4, he got off LIGHT! Throwing objects of thousands of stinging creatures are something I would expect from a young boy with no common sense about consiquences. Shame that sometimes people don't learn to think when they get older.
But glad you got to remove the swarm from a nuisance.

Craig

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have nothing to complain about, I got the swarm regardless of the 30 or so stings and in the process, learned a few things.

1. Ask more questions of the homeowner.

2. Never assume that because it's a swarm that it is non-aggressive

And most importantly!!!!!!!!!!!

3. I'm obviously, not allergic to bee stings.:applause:

Blueline

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give them a week or so and see if they settle down, if not, bye bye queenie.

Blueline

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Africanized bees are not in Indiana, at least not yet. The homeowner's belated admission explains their behavior. At least at this point. Time will tell whether they're hot by nature, or not.

:eek:t: I remember a particularly hot hive I had back in the mid-70's... man they were mean! Called them my Attila the Hun hive. Ended up requeening them, reluctantly, as they regularly produced over 200 pounds of honey. They were Italians.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
185 Posts
Not trying to jack your thread or rub it in but....i got a call this am for a swarm in a ladys tree other side of town. It was about 45-50 degrees and they were hanging on a tree branch about 15' in the air. Several hundred on the ground under them lethargic and moveing slow. Propped a ladder aganst the tree and a tree trimmer in hand and brought them down into a tupperware box. Gloved a couple hundred into the box off the ground and now i have a new hive! Nary a sting thanks to mother nature! Congrats to you as well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts