Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Yesterday i cought my first swarm on a young olive tree, 10 meters from the mother hive. it was fantastic event. Here are the photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/Tzin.Honey/MyFirstSwarm#

In spite of doing everything as i understand to prevent swarming (i add a week ago, one more super with 10 foundations) because the population density was 80-90% . Why the mighty queen decided to swarm in spite of having alot of space?

Randi

·
Registered
504 Posts
That is a nice looking swarm.

You probably could have added the extra frames a little earlier. And maybe you could have broken up the brood nest by inserting empty frames into the middle of the brood nest. But then again when they get set on swarming, there isn't much you can do to stop them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nice. Thanks for the pics.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
Why the mighty queen decided to swarm in spite of having alot of space?

If there was a band of capped honey at the top of each frame, often the queen will not cross this honey dome to get to new comb.

I believe you recently said much was blooming. If a young hive is bringing in too much nectar (or if you feed too much syrup) they can fill all the cells with nectar and the queen had no open cells to lay. This will cause swarming.

A prime swarm will quickly draw out a box of foundation.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies and the tips.
I think i should'nt put the queen excluder on the brood chamber and should let
the queen lay in the second super also. now i'm paying my "tuition fees"
and at least i cought this swarm and didn't loose half of my wifes.

KQ6AR: How can i know if they were 2 or 1 queen in the swarm?

This friday i will check what's going on with this new hive.

Thanks
Randi

·
Registered
575 Posts
Great job. I hope you have as much fun as I do.:thumbsup:

I've tried a number of swarm prevention techniques and they still swarmed.

Last year I did queenless splits letting the host colony raise a new queen still had two swarms. One is now a top bar that I haven't checked yet and the other was 60 ft up a tree and the biggest I've ever seen. I hear it was a bad harvest overall due to our wet spring and I barely got 30# from all hives. I did get a chance to play and get my buddy back after he lost his.

All six of my hives are swarms from an original GA package. I missed my first swarm so I'm sure the genetics are very different now. I'm not keen on requeening due to cost and because I haven't lost one yet including this year. I keep 'em well fed going into winter. That may also contribute to swarming.

The year before last I added brood chamber between the two deeps and then went from two to four hives due to swarms. I gave up on the harvest and then found packed supers on the two host hives.

Last year I was late then lazy and didn't put excluders under my cut comb supers. The queens went up and turned them into drone dens. Not pretty. The little I did harvest was cut from around the drones.

We learn from one year to the next, but I feel too many factors play at the same time to sort out the reasons and I'm tired of trying.

My plan for this year is do some queenless splits but leave her with the host hive and pass along or sell the resulting nucs. I'm hoping by disturbing the brood chamber by taking frames they may not all swarm and plan to put ones that do in top bar hives. I found they can be made at a fraction of the cost and take about the same time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It looks like it is more than one swarm too. If you combined them look for a dead queen. Same thing happened to me last year. I had two clusters and combined them into one hive body and the next day I had a dead queen at the entrance. Nice pics. appears that you got a lot of bees. Congratulations !

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Someone should introduce a bill in Congress to allow beekeepers to requeen their home without repercussion. It would cut down on alimony, child support, and a whole mess of trouble. A young, perky queen would be a good thing. It would keep the home strong just like requeening the hive. just kidding, bees don't take to requeening either

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I think the easiest way to tell if the 2 clusters had their own queen, would have been to put each cluster in separate boxes.
Too late for that now.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I think i should'nt put the queen excluder on the brood chamber and should let the queen lay in the second super also. now i'm paying my "tuition fees"

Did you place a box full of foundation above the queen excluder, or a box full of drawn comb?

When using a queen excluder, you should place drawn comb over the excluder to encourage the bees to climb through the excluder. If you place foundation above the excluder, the bees will often ignore the foundation and then swarm. (Placing a couple frames of sealed brood above the excluder will also encourage the bees to cross the excluder. Just be certain you don't move the queen above the excluder when you move the frames of brood.)

In my first beekeeping year, I placed a box of foundation above a queen excluder. The bees ignored the foundation and my hive swarmed.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Someone should introduce a bill in Congress to allow beekeepers to requeen their home without repercussion. It would cut down on alimony, child support, and a whole mess of trouble. A young, perky queen would be a good thing. It would keep the home strong just like requeening the hive. just kidding, bees don't take to requeening either
:thumbsup: So just go pinch her now? Boy that would save me a lot of problems!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
In spite of doing everything as i understand to prevent swarming (i add a week ago, one more super with 10 foundations) because the population density was 80-90% . Why the mighty queen decided to swarm in spite of having alot of space?

Randi
Because you were late. You added foundation 1 week ago. They started swarm preparations at least 2 weeks ago. Foundation isn't comb. They needed comb 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
429 Posts
my feelings exactly, but if you couldn't get it on 3 weeks ago then you couldn't. you now have another colony..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts