Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a picture of the sting

with my finger for comparison.

it didn't hurt as much as i thought it would.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I *wish*....

Yesterday & today, messing with the huge swarm, not a single sting. After getting back to the car, taking off my gear, and wham! I get nailed by a gnat.

Yes, a stupid gnat. Within an hour, my left tricep area was an angry red welt as big as my hand. Wound up icing it down, cortisone cream, and 2 benedryl before bedtime.

Bee stings, nada. Gnat bites practically put me in the bed. Go figure.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well now at least you got that 1st sting out of the way and you have a good war story to tell at parties. :) John Q public always ask Beeks the sting question.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
When I get a bee sting, it's not so bad the first day. But the second day it swells up and itches like the devil for several days.

·
Registered
375 Posts
When I get a bee sting, it's not so bad the first day. But the second day it swells up and itches like the devil for several days.
Amen!

Glad you got that first one out of the way. They'll bother you less and less as the years go by. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've only been stung once myself but it started itching like the devil on the second or third day so I put some Tiger Balm on it and that made the itching stop. Also works well on mosquito bites and sore muscles!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Amen!

Glad you got that first one out of the way. They'll bother you less and less as the years go by. :)
my grandfather became more sensitive to them as he grew older, he ended up stopping beekeeping when he got stung a few tie and fainted.
i was also stung that day.
used to help my grandpa with his bees.

but i started 3 weeks ago and i have not been stung yet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got my first sting 2 days ago picking up my Nuc from a local beekeeper. Got me right on the forehead. I should have known better when I saw him heading for the bee yard in his suit but without a smoker. He just opened up the Nuc box and started transferring frames into my box. Didn't take them long to find me. Didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. More of a headache than anything.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got my first sting today... on my first day of beekeeping! She got me right in the hip. I guess I wasn't using my jacket correctly or something. Needless to say I'm online now looking for a better bee suit haha. It actually didn't hurt that bad at all and feels fine now. (happened 4 hours ago).

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
you guys are funny.....i took 16 to my hands the other day...yes...16, through the gloves..LOL. No itching, no swelling. Oh, and when you shake 50,000 bees onto a blanket, they tend not to be really happy. i felt blessed at only 16...lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
Bees aren't ever as bad as yellow jackets.

A couple of summers ago I took over 40 to the head, arms, and chest when I bush hogged a nest of them, the size of a cantaloupe.

My fore arms swelled up and looked like Popeye's.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got my first sting of the season hiving a package of bees. I'd seen several videos on YouTube of folks hiving package bees with no gear on. Thought I'd try it too! Ouch! Within 5 seconds one sting next to my eye and another on the back of my neck. The sting itself didn't hurt so much, but by the next day, my eye looked like I tried to go a few rounds in the boxing ring...and lost! Funny, stings to the face seem to be the only ones that really swell up on me. :lookout:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts