Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went and did my first solo cut out friday. And in the process became kind of a science lesson. The structure which was an old barn type structure 50+ years old had bees in it from almost day one of its existence. The current owner inherited it from the family and is a science teacher so he set up a video camera and wala i was imortalized for futur science classes to see and learn from. While I cut out the wall and bees he asked questions and I stopped to answer them it was really cool. Ended up with 8 frames of brood one of those went to an observation hive for his class which he will get a queen for tomorrow the rest was mine to keep. he asked at a futur time if i might help him start a hive of his own. I told him if he supplyed the queen I would supply brood frames in the futur to get him on his way. Seems like I always in the spring have a few hives that are boomers and have to do something to keep them from swarming so why not start him a new hive. He said he would give me frames for exchange and told him that would not be nessasary. Figure we might have another beekeeper in the futur. ended up with three five gallon buckets paccked so tightly with comb that I will probably have to melt it in the buckets to get it out. There was more bees and comb than I had ever seen. ended up 7 frames of brood for me and ended up with a 2 deep and one medium configuration to house all the bees. collected them up and moved the hive yester day i know I got the queen cause she was already laying new eggs in the upper deep just so many bees I could not find her. All in all a very sucessful venture for every one.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts