Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my bees 2 weeks now. Today I did my first real inspection - the only other times I've opened the hive was to take out the queen cage at 1 week.

I think things are looking good! I have 1 deep box of 10 frames in place with wax foundations. If I think of those numbered 1-10, 1 was empty, 2-6 were well built out with drawn comb, most of it capped. I didn't see the queen but I saw some larvae (not a real lot though). Frame 7 was partially drawn out, and 8-10 were empty.

Comb was mostly where it belonged, though i found a big chunk of it under the top feeder.

I removed that chunk under the top feeder. I also swapped frame 6 with frame 8, so now it has one empty, 1 partially drawn out, and then 1 pretty full. This seemed better to me than swapping 7 & 8, which would have made it full - empty - partial.

I had the hive open for about 10 min at that point, and its about 55F out, so I didn't want to keep it open any longer. I plan to check again in 1 week.

I still haven't been stung.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Sounds like a good start. :) Remember to look for eggs, not just larvae. Eggs mean the queen was laying within the last three days. Hold the frames up so that sunlight shines into the cells. The eggs will look like tiny grains of rice on their ends in the middle of the bottom of the cells. You want one egg per cell in the bottom.

Good luck, and congratulations.

Grid.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thats awesome, Sounds like your off to a good start SledDog...I just checked yesterday to see if the queen was released and she was so i have alittle while to wait yet and i will be doing the same inspection. Tomorrow i go to pick up my second package that i wanted the first time but they were all out then. So tomorrow i will be installing my second package! Today i had 2 swarm calls but one was to far away and the second call flew off by the time i got ready to leave...Its a great hobbie!...Good Luck!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congrats on the bees and your first hive inspection it is definitely a lot of fun, as far as getting stung...... give it time :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.