Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I started a package on a single ten frame hive back in mid-april and have been feeding them ever since. They have just stopped taking food in the past week or so. They have filled less than 5 frames so far, with very little honey stored (I saw a tiny bit of capped honey about three weeks ago, but none since), very little pollen and lots of brood. I have been very nervous about them for the past few weeks and hope everything turns out all right.

Anyway, tonight I noticed the girls are kicking the drones out of the hive dragging and screaming.. they are hauling them out one after one and kickng them over the edge. the drones just fly right back in.. Is it normal for the drones to be ejected so quickly? I thought that was supposed to happen before cold weather in the fall. Is this another sign that things are not right in my colony?

·
Registered
194 Posts
<GroosBrews said >tiny bit of capped honey about three weeks ago, but none since), very little pollen and lots of brood

Feed them, they are kicking out drones because of the lack of food. The reason they probaly have seemed to stop taking it is because its been so hot, around here anyways that they have been too busy collecting water.
Also check for mites..

·
Registered
28 Posts
I too have seen some drones being expelled from one of my hives, but they have been usually killed. It was a new hive from package in April. It has two deeps and a super on top. The super has 3-4 drawn frames with some nectar in each frame and last I looked the upper brood box had some nectar too so I don't think they are starving. The blackberry nectar flow should be on right now full force. I have been keeping a close eye out for mites and plan to do a sugar shake when I have a chance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Basically you roll a couple hundred bees around in a jar with a couple tbsp powdered sugar. The sugar causes any external mites to lose their grip. Your can then shake the sugar off the bees and count the mites and the bees are relatively unharmed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got to thinking today that bees stopped taking food when I switched from a 1:2 sugar to water ratio to a 1:1 sugar water ratio. Have you guys ever seen this before? Could the switch in "quality" of the nectar cause them to suddenly stop taking it (or slowing waayyyy down in their intake??)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I got to thinking today that bees stopped taking food when I switched from a 1:2 sugar to water ratio to a 1:1 sugar water ratio. Have you guys ever seen this before? Could the switch in "quality" of the nectar cause them to suddenly stop taking it (or slowing waayyyy down in their intake??)
1:1 simulates a nectar flow and promotes wax drawing.
2;1 is for feeding when short on stores like you would do if they were short on supply in the fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts